How to End Midterm Distress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Midterms are among us, but don’t lose your head even if you are losing sleep. You know that saying, “Work hard but play harder?” whoever came up with that was on to something.

I’m not saying you should go crazy to the point of it distracting you from your studies. It’s only a matter of clearing your mind a bit while you’re working hard to ace that test and papers. Study breaks are essential to keep our minds in top notch for our midterm projects, but they can also be dangerous.

Seriously ladies, be honest.  How many times have you thought, “Oh, I’ll just take a fifteen minute break and I’ll come back to it”? Sure, but it ends up being more like a two day break (okay fine it’s happened to me before!). Be disciplined but have some wiggle room.

Eat! It’s important, fun, and absolutely delicious. It’s very common to forget to eat during midterms and finals. If you stop to eat, then don’t go grab a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Pamper yourself and make a little feast. This will take your mind off your work, and your taste buds will thank you for it. Crank up the music and dance while you stir, blend, and chop but please be careful with the knife! Belt out to the top of your lungs while you mash some potatoes, grill chicken, and toss a salad. Whatever your stomach desires should be granted.  Just think, you do deserve it.

Do you have papers, tests, and projects all due this week? Are you regularly at the edge of just falling to your knees and yelling “WHY!” to the heavens? Yes, then let out your anger at the gym. Take a deep breath and turn that fury into energy to burn. You’ll be much more relaxed (and a lot more mellow) so you can concentrate on your work.

Try hanging out with your friends and family. It will definitely get your mind off things. There is nothing better than surrounding yourself with the people who love you. Get together and feed off of that warm fuzzy vibe! If cooking isn’t your thing as I mentioned before, then go out to eat. You’ll fuel your body with good company.

Lastly, my beautiful sleeping beauties…exactly my point, you should sleep. It seems like every little kid hates a nap, but as college students getting some shut eye is a luxury. Don’t be afraid of dropping whatever you’re studying or writing and hit the sack. You can use an alarm clock if you’re afraid of oversleeping. You will wake up so refreshed and ready with a clear mind. You’ll be able to tackle anything.

It doesn’t matter what you like to do. You should take a few minutes to have a little fun. If you have any other ideas or favorite ways to spend your study break, then go for it! Besides, after the grueling midterm week we get a three day weekend!

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!