How To Create a Stress-free Sanctuary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Spring is best/worst time of the year. Best because we can finally shed our layers, break out the lighter clothing, and breathe the fresh air. Worst because if you’re a college student, your school work load increases and we must jump over the big hurdle that is finals week. If you’ve been feeling the extra stress lately, there’s an easy way to minimize your stress level. All you have to do is give your house, apartment, or dorm room a little face lift! Here are some ways to help de-stress your living space:

1. Natural light is your best friendSunlight is nature’s best medicine. It’s proven to help both your physical and mental health. Start by opening your blinds and letting the sunshine in! If you’re limited on windows in your living quarters, try placing some mirrors around the room to brighten it up.

2. Dim down at nightIf you’re not planning on pulling an all-nighter, once the sun sets it’s a good idea to reduce the artificial lighting in your space as much as possible. Light boosts your energy level, so this is especially important in your bedroom. Try lighting a candle or two, and turn off any overhead lighting.

3. Frame itSurrounding yourself with positive images of your loved ones, and happy memories will be an instant mood booster. Put these in a spot that you will see every day for a pick-me-up.

4. Cut the clutterA messy or cluttered space will only add to your stress. Here’s an easy way to clean a cluttered space like your kitchen or living room. For 10 minutes, put your clutter into three piles; keep, discard, and relocate. Throw the discard pile in the trash, and put the relocate items where they belong. Insta-clean!

5. When it doubt, green it outPlants are awesome for making your space feel peaceful and natural. Don’t feel the need to head to your local nursery to buy a $50 fern, some fresh picked wild flowers will do just the trick!

6. Lay off the electronics before bedThis is probably the toughest one. I’m totally guilty of scrolling through Twitter until my eyes roll in the back of my head. But this is so unhealthy! Bright lights from cell phone, tablets, and TV screens mess with our REM cycle, making it impossible to get a good night’s sleep. Try to steer clear of any electronics an hour before bed, opt for a good book instead!

Follow these steps and you’ll be on your way to creating your very own sanctuary! Wishing all my fellow Bees a good luck with the end of this semester, we can do it!

Hey there, I'm Lindsey! I'm obsessed with teacup pigs, I'm the queen of thrift shopping, and sometimes people call me Loinsberry.
Her Campus at SAU