Get involved and give back to the community!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The start of a new school year is a wonderful opportunity to start fresh with campus clubs and activities.  Do you like to help others?  Are you looking for volunteer opportunities?  Many clubs on campus allow you to do these things, and ADAPT is just one of the newest!

ADAPT, spelled backwards, stands for Teaching and Promoting All Disabilities Awareness.  ADAPT was founded in March of 2012.

ADAPT is an organization that promotes disabilities awareness, provides volunteer opportunities on campus and in the surrounding community, and sponsors activities related to disabilities education. 

“We aim to promote a caring and diverse community where people see the person, rather than the disability.  Our goal is to educate the community and the university of the concerns and interests of those with disabilities,” Justin Gilbertsen, ADAPT’s current president, said.

Past actions of ADAPT include “Spread the Word to End the Word,” a campaign to banish the word “retard” from conversation.   

ADAPT volunteers at organization such as the Handicapped Development Center to assist and interact with individuals with disabilities at group events like themed parties and dances. 

The initial informational meeting has already been held this fall, but it is not too late to get involved!  Meetings are held in the Student Leadership Center, on the first floor of Rogalski.  The next meeting is on September 18 at 9 PM. 

This organization is a great way to volunteer and give back to the community.  Joining ADAPT may even give valuable experience to students who wish to work in the health care or disabilities field! 

Picture from thecampuscompanion.com

Her Campus at SAU