Cheers From London!: Fashion and Paris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Living and studying in London has been incredible, but I think we can all agree that for most girls the chance to go to Paris would be a dream come true. Well collegiettes, my dream came true!

I was in the City of Lights, one of the most romantic cities in the world for a whole weekend. But with only three days in beautiful Paris it didn’t seem like enough time to enjoy everything the city has to offer. Yet, I was still able to see why the French are masters of something we all wish we were capable of pulling off–my time in Paris helped me see what chic really means.

It’s definitely something that can’t really be explained with words. The people in Paris dress beautifully or as they would say here in London, smart. I was so fascinated with their style, and shocked at the differences in style for Paris and London. For one thing, I’ve always understood that cityfolk, especially those from big cities, have always been more trendy than the average person. London has been no exception. Style is something that is totally unique to one person, and no one seems to care what you wear as long as you wear it with confidence. There’s people dressed nicely like girls in skirts with tights, ruffled blouses, and cardigans with oxford shoes. Then there are those dressed in tight little dresses with sky high heels, and those with bright blue hair, leather, and studs. Whatever the person is wearing is meant to make a statement.

Style is a way of self-expression, and Londoners are especially eager to be able to demonstrate this. And so, regardless of their clothing and style, they always look put together. This is where the difference between London and Paris fashion lies. The confusing thing is that Paris style is exactly the same but is effortless. It’s almost as if they wake up in the morning and casually, almost lazily say, “Oh, I don’t know, maybe I’ll wear this top and I guess I can wear these pants with it. I can’t seem to find any other shoes so these will do,” and just like that they are wearing the perfect outfit. How do they do that? I wish I knew, but I loved being able to see it happen everyday I was there.

The other thing that I loved about Paris that made me feel right at home was the make-up. So many French girls had no make up on and looked absolutely gorgeous. They weren’t just physically beautiful–it was the confidence they had in being able to leave their home with no make-up that almost made their natural beauty shine so much brighter. London, like every place on Earth has beautiful girls of course, but Paris had a way of appreciating natural beauty. It was really refreshing to be in a culture that sees true beauty in the real beauty. It was so different from any other place I’ve been where so many girls’ faces are hidden by a mask of make-up. I’m not saying that Paris didn’t have this kind of girl, but it was much more rare. And if a girl was wearing make-up but didn’t have the mask, then she was wearing very light make-up.

The effortless wardrobe will always be a mystery to us, but it’s a refreshing find to see a city that cares so much about fashion, also care so much for natural beauty. We were all born beautiful after all. 

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!