Ambrose Hacks Every Freshman Needs to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As a senior, I pride myself in my ability to pick out freshmen from the crowds walking around campus. I’m able to spot them so well because I’ve been there. Holding onto their lanyards for dear life, thinking, “Oh God, why does everyone else look like they know what they’re doing?” and “Why am I the only one freaking out here?”—oh yeah, I’ve definitely been there. Don’t worry, freshmen, it all gets better. But knowing these tips and tricks about the Ambrose campus will help it get better a whole lot quicker:

1. Tupperware is your best friend. My greatest revelation on how to get the most out of my money spent at Ambrose came one day in the cafeteria when I was getting my lunch and saw the jackpot–a freshly stocked dispenser of Froot Loops. Not generic “Fruity Tooty Fun Rings”, guys, actual Froot Loops. I wanted an extra bowl for home, but technically speaking, students aren’t supposed to take food out of the cafeteria. So, I did what I had to do. I grabbed giant bowls full, took them back to the table, and poured the cereal into the only container I had—my hat.

I managed to walk out under the radar with my hat full of cereal and was blessed with bowls full of fruity goodness for days. It worked in a pinch (though the hat never fully recovered), but years of experience have taught me that packing a small Tupperware container in your bag is best if you want to discreetly grab a snack for later.

2. The library is much less boring than it looks. When walking into the library, most people see it only for the rows upon rows of thick, tedious reference books. These intimidatingly boring reads are the reason most people avoid the library at all costs.

However, most students don’t realize that, while this library may be full of academic material, it’s connected to libraries all over the Quad Cities that can deliver virtually any book, movie, or cd to Ambrose. I’ve seen students order Brittany Spears cd’s, seasons of Game of Thrones, and even Fifty Shades of Gray. Ask a librarian or student worker to help you get the most out of your library card.

3. The Quad Cities’ most beautiful gym is just footsteps away. If you’re like me, a trip to Lee Lohman can be a little intimidating. Working out among toned, athletic students who actually know what they’re doing isn’t my cup of tea, which is why I was thrilled when I went on my first jog to Vander Veer Park. Across the street from North Hall, it’s a city block jam-packed with fresh air, dog walkers, ducks and geese, and happy park-goers. There’s always something to look at and enjoy, and a quick, scenic run is sure to give you a relaxing break from a busy college day. For me at least, Vander Veer has been the ultimate stress relief.

4. Saving your Buzz Bucks can pay off. While it’s tempting to buy as many cheeseburgers and Frappucinos as possible during the first month of school, there’s something to be said for patience. During the last week of the semester, my roommate once realized she still had over $50 worth of Buzz Bucks she hadn’t used. When we went to Rogo to try to spend them, we saw how desperate the staff was to get rid of the leftover food. They supplied students with boxes to help carry as many drinks and granola bars out as possible, and there was a chance of running into some last minute deals and sales. It might be worth it to save some Buzz Bucks and really treat yourself at the end of a hard week of finals.

5. Do things that you really love. Perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind when you’re adjusting to campus life and trying to figure out the whole college thing is that you’re here to define yourself. Join clubs and groups that you’re genuinely passionate about—it’s the best way to make close friends who will share your same values. College goes by so quickly, and it’s important to surround yourself with people who are going to support you every step of the way. The adventure is just starting, so make sure to get the most out of every opportunity, take deep breaths, and enjoy every Froot Loop.

Photo courtesy of Google.