5 Steps to Get Back to the Grind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

New Year, New You, right?

WRONG! After a month off, it is proving to be even more difficult for us to get up for those 8 a.m. classes, stick to a study schedule, and just go back to “bee”ing Bees (sorry, I had to).

So, here are 5 tips for getting back to the grind this semester:

1. Get a Planner

The first step to getting yourself organized and ready for this semester is to grab a planner. Go small with a $5 planner from Target, or go big and order yourself a customized one from Erin Condren or similar sites. The point is, the options are endless. Put your whole schedule in the monthly sheets: class times, work hours, and extra curriculars. Don’t forget to schedule your coffee dates, too!

2. Stick to a Study Schedule

Along with putting your life into a planner, be sure to schedule times that you can focus clearly on your homework and studying. Set yourself up to be productive this semester!

3. Cut Back on Netflix

I know this is a tough one. Odds are you spent Christmas Break binge watching everything you’ve been recommended this year, and it’s going to be hard to break that habit. But getting back into the swing of the spring semester will be even more challenging if you are watching Shameless for 6 hours straight.

4. Don’t Sleep In

This will be A LOT easier if you quit the Netflix binging. But most importantly, don’t set up a funky sleep schedule where you wake up at 7a.m. every other day and noon the rest. Your body will never get used to that. Try not to waste your day (even on the weekends) and get yourself started fairly early. And if you’re still struggling to get through the day, take a 20 minute nap until you’re used to your new sleeping schedule.

5. Get Involved

The best way to get back into the new year groove? GET INVOLVED! Join a club, attend a workshop, or sign up for that 5k. Getting involved and showing up for fundraisers or other events can get you hyped for the start of the new semester and really get you back into the right schedule for this semester.

Sources: Cover, Planner, Schedule, Netflix, Sleep, Reghan Edwards