5 Local Places You’ve Gotta Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Davenport may seem like a town ridden with chain restaurants, but there are plenty of local places to try. I’m letting you in on some recommendations that you won’t regret visiting. Need a break or quick bite to eat? These are the best places in the area for you to try. Added bonus: these places won’t break the college budget either! 

1. Greatest Grains 

Greatest Grains provides nothing but fresh, natural, organic, and healthy options. It recently added a station for customers to create their own salads and sandwiches. I definitely recommend the egg salad or tuna salad sandwich with sprouts and tomato. Greatest Grains also makes their sandwiches with their fresh, baked flaxseed rye sourdough bread which makes their sandwiches so unique and tasty. Don’t forget to stop in Monday-Friday from 3-7 p.m. for 1/2 priced smoothies! 

2. ANewtritionalU 

New year new you, amirite? You gotta have that pre/post workout protein shake. ANewtritionalU lets you choose from tons of protein shake flavors. You only pay $7.00 for the shake, which includes a shot of aloe and a cup of either hot or iced tea. If you’re a fan of cherry flavored anything, I recommend getting the Arnold Palmer iced tea with cherry. It’s a secret, so all you gotta do is ask for cherry with your tea and they’ll scoop in some cherry powder! Another crowd pleaser is the Salted Nut Roll shake, but you can never go wrong with birthday cake or butterfinger. The menu list is endless. 

3. Zeke’s Island Cafe

Tingle your taste buds with Zeke’s twist on Hawaiian, Asian, & Caribbean style foods. The Hawaiian pulled pork nachos are to die for. Not in the mood for nachos? You can’t go wrong with the caribbean chicken tacos with a side of their Hawaiian macaroni salad. Gather with your friends to try something new. You can locate them in the Hilltop of Davenport, good luck searching for this hidden gem! 

4. La Finca

You’ll get your money’s worth if you make the trip to La FInca. I’m talking HUGE burritos (beats Chipotle, for sure) and at La Finca, you get free guacamole! You can ask for avocado on your tacos or a side of sour cream and it won’t cost you any extra… it’s a well kept secret between the locals, so we’ll keep this between us. You get the choice of dining in or carry out. Not to mention, if you dine in, you will get a basket of crunchy tortilla chips with a side of extremely spicy salsa. Take my word on the salsa if you can’t stand the hotness, pace yourself. I recommend ordering the steak or chicken burrito, chicken quesadilla, or the chorizo tacos. 

5. Oh So Sweet By Tiphanie 

This bakeshop located on Main St. is perfect for any sweet-tooth craving. Oh So Sweet has daily cupcake specials. Each cupcake is made entirely from scratch. You could also come in and grab a bite for lunch with a variety of sandwiches and soups. There are other delectable desserts besides getting cupcakes. One of them being the Boyfriend cookie. Ever in need of a boyfriend? Trust me, all you will need is that Boyfriend cookie. 

Photos Credited to: Oh So Sweet By TiphanieGreatest Grains, and Annie Nguyen

Major: Marketing // Minor: PR  Fashion, food and Instagram.  Follow-up with my articles to learn more about me and Her Campus at SAU. #GoBees 
Her Campus at SAU