25 Ways to De-stress Before Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Next week is already Finals week again. Don’t let the seemingly never-ending to-do lists and test cramming get you down. Here are some ways you can de-stress before and during Finals week!

1. Exercise. Go for a quick jog around Vander Veer or do some squats at your desk. Physical activity not only makes you feel better by filling your body with endorphines, but it helps decrease those stress hormones that are driving you crazy and creating that mental block. 

2. Paint your nails. Freshly painted nails will make it much easier to get back to that paper because your fingers will feel brand new. 

3. Take frequent breaks.

4. Eat chocolate. I know what you’re thinking. You don’t want to binge on snacks during finals when you’re already feeling down. But dark chocolate is actually incredibly good for you! It is full of antioxidants and vitamins that help your body reduce its production of stress hormones. 

5. Get lots of sleep. You’re more productive when you’re well rested than when you’re overtired. Don’t get stingy with sleep. You really really need it. 

6. Take stretching breaks. Sitting in one place too long can cause muscle cramping so be sure to stretch it out every so often. 

7. Clean your room. It  is proven that a clean work space can do wonders for productivity because the brain isn’t distracted by the mess around it. 

8. Look at this adorable puppy. He’s totally cheering you on because he understands the struggle too. And hey, if you have dogs (or any pets really) at home, finals mean you get to see them soon! 

9. “Treat Yo Self.” Walk over to the Beehive and if you’re out of Buzz Bucks, splurge anyway and get yourself that grande caramel macchiato. The walk over will clear your head and you’ll most likely run into a friend somewhere along the way to rant about your long to-do list with. 

10. Make a To-Do list. Being able to check things off as you finish can fill you with a great sense of accomplishment and it helps you to make sure you aren’t forgetting anything. 

11. Call your mom. Moms won’t judge you for crying over that four page paper that is due in the next hour or the fact that you ate your body weight in chips. They will let you rant and then give you advice on how to get through it.

12. Take a trip to Maggie Moo’s/Whitey’s/Coldstone. Get off campus for a half hour and get some ice cream. You’ll come back to the library feeling recharged and ready to go.  

13. Know your limits. It speaks for itself. 

14. Light a candle. I mean, I guess if you live on campus, you really shouldn’t be lighting candles. Fresh aromatherapy scents can help keep you calm and concentrated though. Just sayin’. 

15. Eat an apple. An apple a day not only keeps the doctor away, but fruit helps your body feel fresh and your mind clear. 

16. Have a movie night with your gal pals. Everyone needs a de-stressor before finals and it’s so much more fun with friends. 

17. Take a nap. Sometimes you just need one. Make sure you set an alarm, though, so you don’t oversleep!

18. Drink a lot of water. Hydration is incredibly important to keeping stress levels down and to keep your body from fatiguing. Plus the more you drink, the more you pee, and the more you get to take legitimate bathroom breaks. Like I said, those frequent breaks are good for you! 

19. Listen to music. Jam to your fave new Kesha song or rock out with Beyonce. They will help you power through. 

20. Watch an episode of your favorite TV show on Hulu or Netflix. Give your brain a break for a little while. Just don’t watch like five or the whole season. That won’t make you feel better. 

21. Make a Summer 2014 checklist. Make sure to add those days at the beach and road trips with your best friends. But only if you need the motivation to power through. 

22. Don’t forget to shower. You would think this is a no-brainer but sometimes it happens. We have all been there. Just know that a hot shower can do wonders to ease those muscle cramps from sitting in the library all day and can help your brain do a little recharging. 

23. Remember how awesome you are. You are pretty damn awesome. Don’t forget that. 

24. Take some deep breaths. Breathe in, and breathe out. It’ll be over soon!

25. Don’t procrastinate. Procrastination will make you feel more stressed out because all that time you just spent on Facebook and Twitter and checking your email for the 367th time today adds up, and that’s all time you won’t get back to write that paper. 

Good luck all you of Queen Bees! You’ll do great! 

Photos courtesy of:

http://gainesvillescene.com/2013/05/01/study-lists-for-your-finals-week/

http://www.petdoof.com/adorable-puppy/

http://www.pinterest.com

Her Campus at SAU