photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

10 Things You Shouldn’t Ask Me on Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Thanksgiving break is almost here — *can I get an Amen* — and while we’ve all been dreaming of mashed potatoes, gravy and turkey for weeks, we all know that the break can be a little stressful. With numerous family gatherings and visiting aunts and uncles that you haven’t seen in years (seriously, I don’t think I’ve met half of you in my entire life), there are bound to be some awkward conversations. In order to help keep things fine and dandy while we stuff our faces with plates of pumpkin pie, here is a list of 10 things you shouldn’t ask me on Thanksgiving.

1. “Wow, you’re almost done with school. What are you doing after graduation?”

I don’t know, maybe cry myself to sleep every night until I find a job? 

2. “How’s the job hunt going?”

Well, since you are well aware of the fact that I am still jobless post-graduation, I’m pretty sure you can figure the answer out on your own.

3. “Wow, you finally have a significant other. When is the wedding?”

If you keep up with these annoying questions, you’ll scare him off. So in that case, never.

4. “Your sweater looks a little tight. Are you staying healthy at school?”

Thanks for subtly letting me know that I’ve gained weight. College is hard and between the tests, papers and group projects, it’s practically impossible to maintain a balanced diet.

5. “So you majored in *insert individual major here.* What do you plan on doing with that?”

Your guess is just as good as mine.

6. “You’re a little quiet today. Why don’t you talk to the family a little more?”

Because I know that whatever I say to you is going to be repeated back to every single other member of the family and I’d like to keep part of my life private.

7. “I haven’t seen you in years. How’s high school?”

High school was good, but I’m 22 and graduating college in December. Thanks for the attempt at starting a conversation, though.

8. “Wow, haven’t you grown?”

Considering the fact that I was 11 the last time you saw me, yes I have grown. I’m glad you noticed.

9. “Is that your third plate of food?”

You bet it is.

10. “Will you be back next year for our Thanksgiving dinner?

Even though I’m fighting back the urge to pluck each and every eyelash out of my eye, yes. Family time is the best time.

Image Sources: Main image, gif 1, gif 2, gif 3, gif 4, gif 5, gif 6, gif 7, gif 8, gif 9, gif 10

I'm Amanda, a junior PR major at St. Ambrose. I enjoy long walks on the beach and queso.
Her Campus at SAU