10 Lessons College Students Can Learn From “Friends”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As college kids, we are all looking for ways to procrastinate on our newest assignment, avoid filling out those applications, or just a way to relax. Well, what if I told you that there was a funny AND educational show you could binge watch with no guilt? Well, that show is “Friends”. Friends has all the comedy of a hilarious, mind-numbing TV show, while also providing story lines and situations that hit close to home. So, for a good laugh, some good lessons, and a good time, you can sit back and watch your newest Friends. But, if you don’t have time for that…here is a list of the top ten things you could be learning from Ross, Rachel, Monica, Chandler, Joey, and Phoebe.

1. Body positivity. We all know how much Joey liked to eat. And Fat Monica still loved herself. So go ahead and eat that piece of cake, meatball sandwich, pizza, or whatever you will.
  2. How to avoid making plans. We have all been there. Our friends want to do something, but we aren’t really feeling it. We don’t want to lie, but we don’t want to go. What do we do? Phoebe’s got you.
  3. Self-Awareness. We all are imperfect and we know that. So, what better way to make things less horrible than to admit those flaws?
  4. Grammar. We all have a friend or family member who doesn’t know the difference between Y-O-U-‘-R-E and Y-O-U-R and there is nothing more frustrating. Susan, “you’re” (you are) cat is not beautiful, YOUR cat is beautiful.
  5. Honesty. Sometimes friends are being stupid and it is important for you to remind them who they really are…no matter how brutally honest you need to be.
  6. Teamwork. Moving is a tough process and friends are often the people who help you lug your heavy couch up three flights of stairs. This is when friendships are tested, but with good teamwork and well-understood instructions these moves can be an enjoyable time.
  7. Never growing up. Being an adult is hard and sometimes we want to color, build forts, and do things we know we are too old to be doing. “Friends” reminded us that that is okay and we should take some time to release our inner child.
  8. Being down is okay sometimes. Oh, when it hasn’t been your day, your week, your month, or even your year, it’s okay to take some time to be sad about it.
  9. Being frugal. Food is expensive, but it is also essential. So we all need to live by the 5-second rule (give a few seconds…or a lot…here and there). We need money and we need food, so we need to be smart when it comes to both.
  10. Love is weird. We see all the characters’ hearts get broken, taped back together, and then eventually completed and it is so hard, but so painstakingly relatable. Love hurts bad, but love hurts good too.

“Friends” is one of the most iconic shows of all time. I dare you to say differently. Although this list has some silly lessons on it, I think everyone needs to watch this show and learn the good, funny, and bad lessons that it has to teach.

Hey, I'm Kaylee. I love sports and dogs. 
Her Campus at SAU