10 Books to add to Your Summer Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

We’re finally almost done with the school year, which hopefully means you’ll get to relax for a bit. Here are some great books for when you’re lounging out on the beach, getting a great tan, and on vacation.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

This book is such a feel-good romance. Anna gets shipped off to boarding school in France and meets new friends, including the charming Étienne, who maybe likes her but has a girlfriend? A wonderful book to relax with, and don’t forget the sequels, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After.

My rating: 8/10

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

This book (and its sequel, Just One Year) is stellar. It takes place on a day in Paris, where Allyson separates from her school group and finds adventure with a boy named Willem. It’s a whirlwind of sights, tastes, and sounds Allyson’s never seen before.

My rating: 10/10

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Ari and Dante is one of my all-time favorite books. It’s a coming of age story about Ari and his best friend over two years of their lives. It’s rare to find a book that is so touching and wonderful. Highly recommended, and there’s a sequel coming!

My rating: 10/10

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

This one’s a classic about an imaginative little girl who doesn’t quite fit in. If you’re not interested in reading about a younger girl, there are seven(!) sequels about Anne’s formative years and her children. There’s a list here.

My rating (I read these over and over again as a kid, so I’m definitely a little biased): 10/10

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

The fact that it’s classic literature may fool readers into thinking this is a difficult book to get through, but it’s not as hard as you might think. (Pro-tip: watch the 2005 movie first!) Elizabeth’s growth throughout the book and realizations about people she might have misjudged are somewhat relatable. If you’re indoors and you’re not feeling a movie, try the web adaptation, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.

My rating: 9/10

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie was a phenomenal mystery writer, for the thrill-seekers reading this post. I’ve read a bunch of her books and this one left me unable to sleep in the dark for about a week. A group of strangers end up on an island together and have no idea what brought them together. Then, they start dying or disappearing, following a rhyme about 10 little Indians. It’s terrifying.

My rating: 10/10

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Made famous on Saturday Night Live and Parks and Recreation, Amy Poehler’s memoir is hysterical and heartwarming. (The audiobook’s also fun!) It talks about her balance between work and family, and is overall pretty inspiring. Easy to read and a great beach read.

My rating: 9/10

Paper Towns by John Green

A lot of people love John Green for Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars. Those are great stories, but Paper Towns is my favorite book of his. The mysterious Margo disappears for good, so Q, who’s been in love with her for years, sets off to find her. But it doesn’t always seem like she wants to be found. A great story about the danger falling in love with the idea of someone.

My rating: 8/10

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

I love everything by Rainbow Rowell, but Attachments is especially ideal for the beach. It’s a wonderful little romance. Kind of ridiculous, totally adorable, and a little unrealistic, it’s everything chick lit should be. Plus, it’s super well-written.

My rating: 9/10

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Jandy Nelson is another author who can do no wrong in my eyes. The Sky is Everywhere is great for the beach because it’s a little shorter and it’s got a decent love triangle. I’m not normally a huge fan of those, but this one works, and it’s Jandy Nelson. She really likes to write about siblings, and Lennie’s reflections on her relationship with her sister are both relatable and interesting. A phenomenal book.

My rating: 9/10

Happy reading!

For extra fun, follow some of these authors on Twitter!

Stephanie Perkins

Gayle Forman

Benjamin Alire Sáenz

John Green

Rainbow Rowell

Jandy Nelson

*Images courtesy of Google Images

Her Campus at SAU