Why You Should Join Her Campus San Francisco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Throughout such a diverse school, there are many different types of clubs and organizations that you can join. However, few people seem to know about the non-profit underground club called Her Campus, which provides a fun experience of making new friends, getting to know your school’s community, and providing a place for avid writers to upload their thoughts and ideas onto a popular web magazine platform.        

The San Francisco Her Campus chapter is only one small organization in a sea of 290+ chapters around the world. The web magazine company geared toward inspiring and helping young writers and college women was founded in 2009 by three undergraduate Harvard students – Stephanie Kaplan Lewis, Windsor Hanger Western, and Annie Wang.         

But why join the Her Campus San Francisco chapter? There are many avenues of opportunity, and chances to meet new and interesting people, improve your writing, get your “feet wet” in journalism, and to lastly, be able to partake in a collaborative effort in producing content that is by and for women.           

Joining a club or a sorority is a great way to make new friends, and to get to know your school. However, many clubs and sororities on campus have copious amounts of members, and sometimes it can be hard to create a feeling of camaraderie amongst such a gargantuan group of people. With Her Campus, you can experience that close-knit feeling of camaraderie and friendship, since the chapter here on campus is small, and fosters a “one on one” approach with all of its members. All members of the Her Campus team participate with each other, it doesn’t matter if you’re a writer, a photographer or even an editor; no matter what your position, you’ll be able to work with everyone on the team. Not only does a small club have the advantage of being able to work together easily, it also makes it easier to get to know one another. If you decide to join Her Campus San Francisco, it won’t be a surprise to get a lot of group texts amongst its members. Whether the text is about site content or planning a fun outing for the group, it is nice to know that the close-knit feeling of the group will foster lasting friendships amongst the group members. “I joined Her Campus thinking that I would become a blogger, what I actually received not only was experience in writing, but friendships and memories that I will cherish forever,” Her Campus San Francisco correspondent Jessica Romero said.            

Her Campus is also a great place were you can improve your writing, and where you have the freedom to pretty much write about whatever you want, whether your interested in writing about the latest trends in fashion, or the best places to get tacos around town, or the cute guy in your biology class (this is a great way to break the ice, and fill the “campus cutie” section of our magazine), or the latest breaking news story around campus. Basically, any form of writing is available for you to participate in. If you like reporting news, and enjoy writing hard-hitting news on a specific topic, then you can write a feature. Or if you want, you can dabble in long-form writing, (more casual and fun magazine articles, such as “four ways to decorate your dorm with DIY projects”). This is a nice way to be able to publish your thoughts and ideas, and your newsworthy stories, because you don’t have to worry about being assigned a particular story – the choice of what you want to write is all up to you. And of course, if you are looking for ways to improve you’re writing, you have a group of other writers and editors at hand, to help give you tips, story ideas, and to make your writing the best it can be for publication.     

And lastly, joining a club like Her Campus can help you gain experience in journalism, and can even provide a network of connectivity amongst other news organizations on campus or around town; which can help you gain a foot hole in getting an internship or even a job. The administration of the Her Campus San Francisco chapter can write you a letter of recommendation, or can point you towards an internship. According to the “About Us” page on hercampus.com, “Since joining the Her Campus Team, members have been offered jobs and internships with Glamour, Vogue, Buzzfeed, Vanity Fair, Seventeen, Marie Claire, Harper’s Bazaar… The Washington Post, Ogilivy, and many more.” It is also beneficial to have Her Campus on your resume, because it shows that you have some experience writing and working with a team.         

Hence, being apart of the Her Campus team can help you in all areas of ones busy college life. It offers a place to make new friends, refine a skill and even get a head start in finding a job or internship, all in one unique student run organization.            

If you are interested in joining our Her Campus San Francisco chapter, than keep your eyes peeled for the informational flyers that are posted around campus, or contact us at san-francisco@hercampus.com!

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.