Why AT&T Park Is My Second Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

From the classic brick architecture to the beautiful view of the Bay Bridge and San Francisco Bay, it’s obvious why AT&T Park is one the best stadiums in the country. AT&T Park is home to the San Francisco Giants and also home to me. It’s a home 15 to 20 minutes away from my home. What makes AT&T Park my second home? Scroll down and see!

The location

Located in the South Beach neighborhood of San Francisco (basically SoMa) AT&T Park is in one of the most perfect locations in all of San Francisco. The ballpark lies next to McCovey Cove which leads to the beautiful San Francisco Bay. AT&T Park has Drake approved Views all around. Some of the views from the park include: the Bay Bridge, the East Bay, China Basin, Embarcadero, and Piers.

Commuter friendly

There are endless ways to get to AT&T Park. It doesn’t matter if you live in the North Bay, East Bay, South Bay or Peninsula; there’s a way to get here! Here’s a list of different ways to getting to the stadium:

• Caltrain
  • Muni
  • BART
  • Driving
  • Bicycling
  • Walking
  • Ferry

The aesthetic

Baseball is America’s pastime and entering AT&T Park is sure to give you a sense of good ol’ baseball nostalgia. The classic baseball spirit is kept alive through the architecture, statues, memorabilia, and baseball field. Statues of famous Giants Willie Mays, Juan Marichal, Willie McCovey, and Orlando Cepeda greet you at every corner entrance of AT&T Park. The dreaded long and winding ramps and stairs of AT&T Park are sure to give you a work out #legday.

Must-see attractions

• Coca Cola slide

• The Garden

• World Series trophies

• Ghirardelli Cable Car

• McCovey Cove

• Right field fence

Want to watch a Giants game but don’t have enough cash? Outside of the stadium by the right field, you can watch a game for free. Located in the arches outside of the stadium, packs of fans gather outside to watch three innings of baseball for free.

Food to die for

Stadium is the best food. PERIOD. Sure it’s a little pricy but you’ll get more bang for your buck. AT&T Park is known for its delicious garlic fries. The garlic is grown an hour away from San Francisco in Gilroy, CA. The garlic fries are a staple food to The Bay. On the cold summer nights, be sure to buy Ghirardelli hot chocolate. The hot chocolate will definitely keep you warm throughout the nine innings. My usual food are: chicken tenders with garlic friends, a licorice rope, cracker jacks, and hot chocolate.

360 Degree Views

Drake would for sure approve the views around AT&T Park. From right field, sports fans can get a view of McCovey Cove. The cove is a popular spot for fans who decide to watch the game from the water. Yachts, kayaks, and boats enjoy the game from the water. Those who chill in the water are in for a surprise when a home run baseball lands in the cove. Views of the Bay Bridge can be seen from left field. At night, baseball fans get a treat of the illuminating bridge lights. Last but not least, views of the San Francisco Bay. It isn’t the Bay Area without the bay. Baseball fans sitting in the club and view level of the stadium can see the large body of water and lights from the East Bay. However, these views can be disputed thanks my best friend, Karl the Fog.

History never dies

The stadium is 17-years-old but has a lot of memories. Some memories include: no hitters, perfect games, playoff games, and home run records. Names like: Bonds, Snow, Aurilia, Schmidt, Feliz, Molina, Wilson, Lincecum, Posey, Bumgarner, and Panik keep the baseball franchise alive.

The fans

The fans are a HUGE part of AT&T Park. The stadium atmosphere is intense with the fans. They are sure to make any game memorable. Every night game I attend I look forward to sitting around energetic, drunk, and enthusiastic fans in the bleachers. It doesn’t matter if we’re winning or losing. The fans complete AT&T Park. They make this place home.

Alondra Vega

San Francisco '19

Senior at San Francisco State University.