Spring Breaking Responsibly: Save Water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

“Save water, drink Tequila”…okay maybe don’t drink that much Tequila. But I digress.

Spring Break is all about pool and beach parties, tanning (more like roasting for me) poolside or on your lawn, and relaxing all week long. It’s a break we all deserve, where there are NO rules!

…Well, maybe there are some small guidelines to Spring Breaking here in California. I’m sure we would all like to have more pool parties and tanning sessions in the upcoming years, but this might very well be compromised sooner than we think. Yes, California is running out of water. In fact, we only have a year worth of water left. According to Business Insider, our reservoir levels are dangerously low, and our backup supply (groundwater) is also disappearing, to the point that all we can do is stay in emergency mode…and hope for more rain.

This is why we are teaming up with SFSU’s “Stop The Drought”, a new Facebook page created by SFSU Digital Marketing students to gather news and tips about the drought in California. Click on the picture and get involved!

We all want to have fun and relax, but we also want to do it next year, so let’s party responsibly, and save as much water as possible. If you’re staying in SF this Spring Break, here are a few simple tips:

• Water less often. Start out watering deeply once a week and water more often only as necessary when hot days arrive.
  • Water only the plants that need it.
  • Water only during the cool parts of the day (early morning), and avoid doing it on windy days.
  • If you want to decorate your spot with plants, use low water consuming flowers and group them according to their water needs.
  • Use a broom, not a hose to clean driveways and sidewalks.
  • Use a spring loaded nose shut off on your hose. Hoses without shut offs can waste 20 liters or more per minute.

Head over to the Facebook page Stop The Drought to see news about the drought and more ways we can individually help slowing it down, and be ready to enjoy a water-conscious Spring Break! Have fun!

Bisous, Brigitte