This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Spring Break is wonderful but if you don’t plan far enough ahead it can be a traveler’s worst nightmare. No matter if you’re planning a last minute adventure or a future excursion here are the sites and services you should always check before booking a one way ticket to paradise.

Airfare

Flying last minute will almost always set you back a few more dollars but it can be done. One way to save is if you or your family tends to fly with the same airline you may have miles/points you can redeem to get money off of a flight. Another option is seeing if you have an airline based credit card which could also have points or miles saved on it.

If none of these things apply to you can look into airlines that have running deals or being open to layovers can also save a few bucks. Priceline is a classic travel website that should always be checked. It can be intimidating because you don’t see when your flight time is or who you’re flying with until after you purchase but it can save you quite a bit of money in the long run. AirFareWatchdog is a new site that I found recently that can send you alerts about new discounts whenever you need them. Both sites are reliable and have definitely helped me out when I was in a pinch.

Like I mentioned earlier, if you’re open to layovers they can sometimes be cheaper because they’re not as desirable. Make sure you look into the fine print though. If the layover is an insane amount of time saving a money to waste an entire day might not be worth it in the long run.

Trains

If you’re staying in California for spring break look into taking the train somewhere. Amtrak might be a fun option if you aren’t traveling too far. You can take the train up the entire coast but some stretches don’t have tracks so you have to take a bus in between trains. This is easily the longest way to get anywhere but it’s also, in my opinion, the prettiest. There is something incredibly romantic about traveling by train. I think this would be a great option for a weekend getaway with your significant other or best friend. Or if you’re feeling extra daring you can look into sleeper train. The routes are limited but it’s not something you get to do every day.

Bus

When someone says they are taking the bus somewhere outside the city almost everyone thinks of Greyhound buses. I will never, ever recommend that you take a Greyhound bus. Megabus on the other hand, is an option you should look into if you’re wanting to save money. Unlike Greyhound, Megabus buses are double deckers with less stops and more amenities. There are not only outlets for each seat but complimentary wifi and a bathroom on board. If you buy a ticket in advance you can get a ticket anywhere for as low as $1 and the tickets go up in price as they are sold. Even if you happen to buy the last ticket it’s going to be the cheapest way to travel every single time. I recently bought a ticket from San Francisco to Los Angeles for $50 and I don’t think you could beat that price with any other form of travel.

Regardless of how you choose to travel this spring break always do your research. Be aware of your surroundings and never put yourself in a place where you don’t feel safe just to save some money. I hope you found a few helpful tips and that you have a wonderful spring break!