Reflecting on the 2016 Election a Year Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

A year ago, my worst nightmare became a reality – living in a world where men like Donald Trump are elected to become President.

I can still remember the feeling of my heart dropping. How I couldn’t muster the energy to move or get out of bed. How my eyes were puffy for days on end because I was crying so much. Weeping for my friends and family that all worked too hard to leave now. Grieving that I might lose the right to have access to safe birth control. Angry at every person that voted for Donald Trump.  

It’s a year later and guess what? I’m still angry… but I’m ready to fight, now more than ever.

Even though this year in politics seems to be a huge slap in the face with every news notification that pops up on my phone, I feel that Trump getting elected was a huge blessing in disguise.

Don’t get me wrong, the Trump administration isn’t something that is just going to end after four years. The impact that they have made on this country will leave a legacy and shape the minds of people, even though it’s not for all of the right reasons.

More people showed up to the Women’s March in January than the Inauguration. More people are publicly calling out sexual harassment and assault, yelling out #MeToo. Officials are getting elected to fight back and to give a voice to those that Trump has silenced. News coverage is more imperative than ever.

The actions of people are speaking louder than the ballots that were casted last November.

We all grieved, we all cried, but now we are all fighting.

With the possibility of a new President coming into office in 2020 comes a new possibility of change… and I have a feeling that new change will be for the better.