Now What? The Different Types of Birth Control You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

If you’re indecisive like me, it’s hard to make a decision, especially when you have multiple options. There are over ten types of birth control to choose from so when I decided to take birth control, it took me a while to research the different types and which one would work the best for me and my body. 

As I was researching, these are some of the contraceptives I highly considered before I decided to take the pill. 

1. Birth Control Pills – “The Pill”

Pros:  It’s easy to keep track of your cycle! I’ve used apps on my iPhone to keep track of my cycle, but I like how I can actually visualize when I’m going to get my period when I see my pack. There are pills that are available that you either take either for 21 or 28 days, depending on which pill works for your body. Currently, I’m taking pills that are three weeks of pills with hormones and one week of pills that are placebo pills. These pills also reduce your chances of getting breast and cervical cancer.

Cons: You have to take it every single day, at the same exact time. The pill isn’t effective until you’ve been taking the pill correctly for one whole week. Until then, use another type of contraceptive, such as condoms if you’re sexually active.

If you’re the type of person that’s forgetful, don’t worry! Just take your pill as soon as you remember to take it. However, if you find yourself in a situation when you’re frequently forgetting to take your pill, I recommend using another type of birth control.

I’m a very forgetful person, which is why I set up two alarms on my phone to remind myself of taking my birth control pill. I have one alarm set five minutes before I’m supposed to take it and then another alarm set for the time I’m supposed to take it.

2. Birth Control Shot (Depo-Provera)

Pros: With this method, you’re set for three months of being protected! If you plan on having sex, you don’t have to worry about doing anything beforehand. The shot also doesn’t contain any added hormones, which is great if you are unable to take the pill, which does include hormones.

Cons: Some of the cons that are included with Depo-Provera include weight gain, irregular periods, and a change in your sex drive. However, most of these tend to regulate overtime.

I didn’t choose this method because I’m terrified of needles. However, if the pill doesn’t work out for me, I plan on using this type of birth control. 

3. Condoms  

Pros: Not only does it has a 98% protection rate for preventing pregnancy, but it also protects you against STDs! They’re easy and very accessible to get, including at your local Target, drug store, or at your own student health center on campus! Condoms are also available in different sizes and are relatively not expensive. Condoms can also be used with other types of birth control for extra protection.

Cons: To protect against pregnancy, you have to use one every single time. They also have a chance of breaking during sex.

Of course, there are more different types of birth control to use, such as abstinence (refraining from sex), spermicide, and the sponge, among other types of birth control. No matter which birth control method you’re considering, be sure that you’re taking the method that works with your body. One method may work for one woman, but it may not work for the next one.

Different types of birth control methods can be found on Planned Parenthood’s website, https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control.

Quick Birth Control Update:

In case if you didn’t know, I’m writing an anthology series about my journey with birth control! A vlog documenting my whole journey of birth control will be available in a couple of weeks. This is my second article out of five about birth control.

When I started taking birth control, I hoped that I would magically grow boobs overnight. Of course, this didn’t happen.

Ever since I started birth control, I noticed a couple of changes with my body. For one thing, I noticed that I had similar symptoms to when I’m going through PMS. Some of the symptoms I have been experiencing include mood swings and breast tenderness, which is normal when you’re using birth control.

I’ve also had more food cravings than I normally do. You name it, I’ve snacked on it.

Cheez-Its? You bet.

Burritos? Yes.

Skittles? Definitely.

Trail Mix? More than once.

However, even with these symptoms, I don’t regret my decision taking birth control.

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.