This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Going Greek is exciting for college students. You network, socialize, plan philanthropies, and make life long friends. The first couple of months of being in a Greek organization are such a rush (pun intended) and little do you know, you’ve been in it for a year. This is Natalie’s story about her experiences with being in Phi Sigma Sigma for a year.

What is your name?

Natalie Medina

Where are you from?

Merced, California

What year are you?

Second Year / Sophomore

What is your major?

Sociology and a Minor in Latino Studies

Why did you choose to go to San Francisco State?

I chose to go to San Francisco State because I would always come and visit San Francisco feeling like it was home for me. I grew up from a very small farming town and knew I belonged in a city. San Francisco is also close to home as it is only a two hour drive!

Describe your first semester of your freshman year.

My first semester of my freshmen year was honestly tough. Coming to San Francisco I thought it would be so easy to make friends in college but it turns out it wasn’t. I made friends here and there but it didn’t feel as if they were my “real friends.”

You joined Phi Sigma Sigma your spring semester of freshman year. Why did you decide to go Greek?

I decided to go Greek because my friend Vanessa Diaz approached me and wanted me to go through Phi Sigma Sigma’s recruitment with her. I always knew I wanted to join a sorority in college but didn’t think I would actually do it!

Why did you choose Phi Sigma Sigma?

I choose Phi Sigma Sigma because of their philanthropy. Phi Sigma Sigmas philanthropic cause is The Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation which supports school and college readiness. Coming from a small town, I saw people struggle in school due to not having the necessary materials needed to attend school due and not being able to financially afford it. By being in Phi Sig, I knew I could help within my community to provide the necessary materials!

What went through your mind when you went through recruitment? Were you nervous?

When I went through recruitment, I was VERY nervous! I was so excited but also very nervous of the fact that the sorority may not like me.

What was your reaction when you received a bid?

When I received a bid I was seriously SO HAPPY!!! I was truly overwhelmed with joy and honestly did not think I was going to receive a bid.

Tell me about your family line and big.

My big, Katie Knutson, and I are literally the same person. Katie is my go to girl that is always down to get Buffalo Wild Wings, get Starbucks, or go to the library to study for exams. Then we have my Grand Big (Katie’s Big), Janice Olivieri, who loves anything related to Disney as much as I do! And lastly, we have my little, Maya Bajorek, who loves Grey’s Anatomy as much I do!

You’ve been in the sorority for exactly a year. Do you feel like you’ve grown ever since you joined?

Definitely. My experience has made me a much more confident and outgoing person!

You’re the Sisterhood Development Chair (pledge mom) for Phi Sig. How’s that going?

Being the Sisterhood Development Chair (SDC) for Phi Sigma Sigma has definitely been a rewarding experience! It is truly the moment that I gained confidence within myself because who would’ve known a small town girl would become a sorority’s Pledge Mom?

You’re working, going to school, and have a position in E-Board being SDC. How do you juggle all of these three things? How do you time manage?

Honestly it’s been rough but I learned to time manage all of the three things. With work, I only work Friday and Saturday night. With school work, I usually do my homework during the weekend or on Monday and Friday when I have no school.

Last month you welcomed new members to Phi Sig for the first time. How was that experience like? How was Bid Day?

Welcoming the new members of Phi Sigma Sigma was definitely a rewarding experience because I got to personally know each new member before anyone else was able to meet them. Planning Bid Day was such a success and so many people came up to me, even outside of my sorority, saying how awesome it looked! We sang popular tunes with a karaoke machine and I knew all the new members were having fun!

What do you see yourself doing next semester in Phi Sig?

Next semester in Phi Sig I will continue being the Sisterhood Development Chair so I will be planning a Bid Day all over again which I am excited for!

What are your plans and goals for school next semester as well?

My goal for next semester is to go into the city more. I love San Francisco and would love to explore even more of it. I also would like start working out more so that way my body can be TONED!

Do you have any advice for girls wanting to go Greek in the future?

My advice for girls wanting to go Greek in the future is to be yourself! You are amazing for who you are and a sorority will definitely want a girl that is real and true to herself.

What did you want to know before going Greek?

Before going Greek, I would’ve liked to have known what each sorority is about! You only get to truly know about each sorority if you went through Fall recruitment.

What is your favorite memory from Phi Sig?

My favorite memory of Phi Sig was experiencing my Bid Day! We went to the San Francisco Zoo and it was my first experience as being a Phi Sigma Sigma member.

Alondra Vega

San Francisco '19

Senior at San Francisco State University.