Interview with Upcoming Artist: Raindear!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Hey guys!

I was able to meet with an upcoming music artist from Sweden! She has played all around Europe and her music has been featured throughout college campuses. Her name is Rebecca Bergcrantz, but known as her musician name, Raindear. She was able to stop by San Francisco State for a quick interview before traveling to shoot her upcoming music video at the annual Burning Man event. I was able to sit down and interview her about her background and upcoming music. Check it out!

*Photos from Photographer: Goran James Djordjevic 

Thank you so much for stopping at Her Campus San Francisco State to do an interview with me. So how did your music career start?

“I’ve been doing music all my life and I actually wrote my first song when I was six. And it was actually released on a children’s record. So basically that’s how my career started, but then it didn’t really happen, anything until now. So that was like the top, but then I was like having a bit of a break until when I was maybe 20 [years old] or something.”

Are there any artists that have inspired you?

“Yes, a lot of them. I’m inspired by lots of jazz because I am from a jazz background. So that’s like the few idols that always stick with me like Billie Holiday…”

I was going to say that! That was the first thing person that comes to mind, Billie Holiday. I remember doing a bio on her. She was really amazing. That’s really cool.

“Yeah, its just that there is something that’s really honest with her and then obviously I’m really into new electronic music where I get that bit of my inspiration from.”

And that’s your style and genre of music?

“Yeah, and then like more temporary, but from the newer ones I really love Kate Boy, Niki and The Dove, and also like Bjork is always going to be a massive hero. Kate Bush, Radiohead, well and yeah, all that jazz. And um classical music as well, so it’s really broad. I’m really picky, but broad. But I like the best from every genre, kind of thing.”

Tell us about your new single “Grown Ups.”

“It’s kind of about when you’re like in the adolescents between being old and a kid when you’re just want to try to survive. And like I wrote it about my years that I spent in London, which is such a harsh city because it’s so hard to, you know, survive that, [and] it’s so expensive, but you have dreams and you keep sticking that, like even though it’s so hard. That’s how it came about because it’s yeah, we want to be grown ups, but we sleep on floors…”

Exactly!..

“That’s what I’m singing, so it’s about that.”

What projects do you have that’s coming up next?

“I’m going to Burning Man on Sunday and I’m going to be an artist and resident for the living theater that is building a stage that, our contacts are made in New York. And I’m going to perform both newer songs from my upcoming EP because I have a new EP in the works that will be out in September.”

What’s the name?

“Mirrorland.”

Okay!

Yeah, so it’s actually going to be a long EP, it’s like seven tracks or six, [but] I haven’t decided..

Nice…

“But yeah, but it’s something in between of being an album because some of them, of the songs, are remixes so it still would be counted as a EP. [So] yeah, I’m really excited about. So that’s like the next thing that I’m releasing.”

Where can we find your music?

If you just do spelling right, you can Google around it and I’ll be all over the internet, but like Soundcloud, Spotify, iTunes.

Okay, cool. Awesome.

“[Spelling of name] R-A-I-N-D-E-A-R”

Got it! Well thank you for stopping by…

“Thank you for having me.”

At the end of the interview, she sung a quick verse from one of her singles “Old Church.”

Here is a the video coverage of the whole interview! Her Campus SF Interview

Sade Browne

San Francisco

Sade Browne is majoring in Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts. She is a very enthusiastic and down-to-earth person. She is a fan of fashion, music, food, and reading. She loves getting to know people and has a curious mind to find things out that interest her.