This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

It’s Valentine’s Day, you’ve been dating the utterly most perfect guy who is your exact version of Prince Charming, and is amazing in every way possible, and love is in the air; however, there is a dilemma, you and your boyfriend cannot be together on Valentine’s Day because he is hundreds of miles away, and in fact, you won’t be together for another four excruciatingly long weeks. 

For many people this is the reality for couples who may live in different cities, counties, states, or even countries. Your relationship may not be like the average couple who will get to see each other maybe three times a week, or maybe who will even get to move in together. Instead, you are lucky if you get to see each other at least once a month, because distance, school, or work may make it difficult to schedule times for the two of you to meet up. Some people may ask you or tell you, “Well how do you make a long distance relationship work? They never work out in the end?” 

Well to combat this reoccurring negative discourse, keep yourself sane, and make your relationship work to its happiest and healthiest potential, here are five foolproof ways to make long distance work:

5) Skype: This wonderful technological advancement can be a lifesaver, when you and your boyfriend are in between dates. Skype dates are fun, because it gives you a chance to sort of talk to your boyfriend in the flesh, and you too can do things together over Skype, such as watch a movie, or eat dinner, and have a virtual date. Talking on the phone is nice too, since it is always wonderful to hear someone’s voice, but Skype is nice, because you can actually see them in real time.

4) Make them the first and last thing you think about during the day: This is an easy thing to do to let them know that you are always thinking about them. For example, when you wake up in the morning shoot them a text saying “Good morning” or “Hope you have a wonderful day.” When they look at their phone I guarantee you it will put a smile on their face. And at the end of the day before you go to bed wish them “goodnight” or “sweet dreams”, it is a small gesture, but a cute one that will let them know that you are thinking about them constantly. Additionally, “good luck” or motivational texts are a must if your partner is about to head to a job interview, or take an exam or start a new internship. They’ll know that they have your support if you articulate it. 

3) Send them things in the mail: You don’t have to send them an elaborate and expensive gift to show how much you love them, a simple letter (old fashioned right? Since it is so rare to actually get a letter in the mail these days, it can be quite fun to see a thoughtful handwritten message) or small gift will do. Is there something you too do together, or an interest you share? For instance if you both like to read, send each other books that you both like, or for Valentines Day or an anniversary, perhaps send chocolate, or homemade cookies, or a token that reminds you too of your first date – the stub of a movie ticket, or the golf ball that you took from the mini gold putting green. 

2) Surprise visits: Now this may be hard for some people, since it may be too expensive to buy a last minute plane ticket, or it may be hard for you to get away from work or school, but if you have an opportunity or some free time to go and visit them, do it. Granted, it is a little easier for my boyfriend and I to do spur of the moment or surprise tips, because I can be at a train station in 15 minuets, hop on a train and be there in two hours. Nevertheless, it is always wonderful and completely worth it to see their face when you surprise them outside their door.

1) Plan dates ahead of time: this may seem like an obvious tactic, but when you can plan ahead and set aside a specific date to see each other, it will give the two of you something to look forward too, and you’ll be counting down the days in excitement.   

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.