This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

During my time in college, I have become more aware of many things. Why it’s important to separate lights and darks in the washing machine, manage healthy living, but also, how to leave a less damaging ecological footprint. Often times, we think that by just recycling, we’re doing good in the world and helping out. However, there’s so many more steps to lessen our damage on this planet, while not giving up our own lifestyles and comforts. During the past few months I have compiled a list of how to live a bit more sustainably while still living your personal lifestyles.

(Photo courtesy of Emmett for Pexels)

1. Be aware of your daily trash production.

So many of us are blind to how much waste we actually produce on a daily basis. Some simple ways to reduce trash production are to use washable containers, forks, spoons, water bottles, and also, if you’re a makeup wearer, use oils or soapy liquids to remove your makeup instead of makeup wipes (which are so very damaging to your skin) and cotton pads.

(Photo courtesy from Pixabay)

2. Eat lower on the food chain.

By eating lower on a food chain, I urge you to redirect your interests to eating more grains and fresh produce. Not only being more of a healthier lifestyle, you can help lessen the ecological strain it takes to produce meat and dairy products. If you can’t completely cut out meat, try consuming more locally bred and grown farm products to help cut down the transportation footprints of these products.

(Photo Courtesy from Erick Scheel)

3. Learn about fair-trade products.

There is this strange misconception that everything fair-trade and locally grown is often ridiculously overpriced. Thankfully, it’s just a false claim meant to be funny. Fair-trade products are no more than the price of the same product, but the only difference is that certified fair-trade products have to be produced sustainably and ensured that the product isn’t that of exploitative labor practices.

(Photo courtesy from Photobin)

4. Ditch the plastic.

Now, from living in a city that can charge you 75 cents and more for a plastic bag, I’ve learned quick to always carry a canvas bag with me for any pick-ups I buy. Try investing in a small canvas bag, usually sold everywhere, and throw it in your backpack or purse to hold any food or products you purchase, saving you the money and waste of having a plastic bag.

(Photo courtesy of Ellis Voting Station)

5. Use your voice.

The best and most effective way to live more sustainably is to voice your opinion on matters that involve environmental security. Educate yourself on which companies are being sustainable and which aren’t, and support those who are. Vote on environmental protection and more sustainable and renewable energy sources.

Hopefully these five tips appeal to you to try to live more sustainably. Be kind to the earth and it will be kind to you too.

Hi there, for any questions or feedback, feel free to contact me at soapbach@gmail.com.