Healthy Alternatives to Guilty Pleasures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

We all have those guilty pleasures that we cannot seem to cut ties with, whether it is chocolate, pizza, or in my case, chips; it’s a love/hate relationship that as college students we need to take control of. Since cutting them out completley is not a viable option and will only cause binge eating in the future, we need to come to a compromise that will keep both our growling stomachs and our Summer ’14 bodies happy. As the saying goes, you can have your cake and (moderately) eat it too. I am going to give you some healthy and (almost) equally delicious alternatives to your gultiest of pleasures. 

For the collegiette with the sweet-tooth:

Dark-chocolate-covered strawberries​ are the best way to satisfy your sweet tooth and get your serving of fruit in as well! As many of you know, chocolate-covered strawberries can go for as much as $4-10 a pop, so the healthiest alternative for both your body and your wallet is to make them at home!

All you need is:

-Fresh (organic) strawberries from your local supermarket or even better, your local farmer’s market ($2.49, Trader Joe’s)

-Dark chocolate chips (a healthy alternative to milk chocolate, get it with 72% or higher cocoa, and it’s filled with antioxidants) 

-A cooking tray 

-Foil 

-And room in your fridge or freezer if you’re in a rush to savor those bad boys. 

Step 1: Wash and dry fresh strawberries.

Step 2: Melt the dark chocolate chips in the microwave or in a pot over the stove.

Step 3: Dip the strawberries in the melted dark chocolate.

Step 4: Lay them evenly on the cooking tray.

Step 5: Put them in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to harden.

Step 6: Take them out and enjoy a (slightly) guilt-free sweet treat! 

For the collegiette with the salty-savory craving: 

Kale chips are my personal favorite cure for my salty craving and to use as an alternative for the crunchy-goodness (and calories) of chips. 

All you need:

-Fresh kale or bagged kale ($1.99, Trader Joe’s) 

-Olive oil

-Seasoning you prefer: salt, pepper, sesame, garlic, lemon, cayenne, etc 

-Cooking tray

-Foil 

-Heated oven to 375-400 degrees 

Step 1: Clean, dry, and cut kale into bite size pieces.

Step 2: Put into a large bowl and drizzle olive oil onto the kale.

Step 3: Add preferred seasoning. My personal favorite mix is salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice.

Step 4: Evenly mix and distribute seasoning and olive oil throughout all the kale pieces. 

Step 5: Lay the bite size pieces of kale evenly on the foil over the cooking tray.

Step 6: (Carefully) put the cooking tray into the pre-heated oven tray.

Step 7: Put a timer for 5-10 minutes or watch the kale until it reaches a golden, crispy texture, make sure to tread carefully so it doesn’t burn.

Step 8: With an oven mitt take out the tray and let it cool off and then put them into a bowl and enjoy!

I hope you guys got inspired by these healthy alternatives, and as I go through college and experience more, I will continue to inform you on deliciously healthy snacks to incorporate to your happy collegiette lifestyle.