Greek Summit: Why Title IX Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

On January 30th, SF State held its first annual Greek Summit. The Annex filled up with hundreds of students all proudly displaying their Greek letters on colorful jackets.

The agenda for the event included leadership training and workshops, however, the main event was Title IX training. As mandated by the CSU Board, every student belonging to a Greek organization on campus is required to be trained in the policies and procedures of Title IX. 

Title IX, as outline by SF State, is “the protection against discrimination on the basis of gender or sexual orientation includes sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, and gender based dating and domestic violence and stalking.”

At the event, Vice President of Student Affairs and Title IX coordinator, Dr. Luoluo Hong presented on the changes to Title IX in the last several years. For example, faculty members are now obligated to report incidents of sexual assault, which was previously not required of them. Professors are also encouraged to include a blurb about Title IX and on campus resources for sexual assault in their syllabi.

Another policy change is that faculty are prohibited from entering a romantic/sexual relationship with any student which they hold power over, even if it is consensual. This is an important addition to Title IX because it highlights the idea that consent requires a balance of power. 

One of the most important changes to Title IX is that there is no longer a time limit on reporting sexual assault. Previously, a case had to be reported within 4 years; now cases may be reported from even earlier. This allows those who may have been concerned about retaliation to finally come forward with their cases. 

For many attendees, the training at Greek Summit was helpful for recognizing sexual harassment within the Greek community. “Title XI not only educated my chapter about the dangers of sexual harassment, but also taught us how to approach the subject in a mature and honest manner, “ said Danielle Vitale of Phi Sigma Sigma. 

However, Vitale along with many other attendees felt that the information should be presented to everyone at SFSU, not just Greeks. 

“While I believe Title XI training for the Greek and athletic communities is a step in the right direction, I do not think it will be effective until a much larger percentage of our student body is educated,” said Vitale. 

Title IX matters to every student on campus regardless of extracurriculars. Sexual assault is an epidemic on college campuses throughout the country in a variety of environments. It is just as likely to happen at a frat party as it is a dorm room. 

Dr. Hong ended her presentation by stressing the “power of one,” meaning our choices have the power to stop the culture of sexual violence on and off campus. Each one of us has a personal responsibility to end sexual violence and with further education, I believe we can. 

For more information of Title IX efforts and resources at SF State visit http://titleix.sfsu.edu.

Rachel is a second-year history major at San Francisco State University. She's a pop culture junkie who's optometrist tells her she spends too much time reading and looking at a screen. Her special talents include singing the wrong words during karoke and dancing like Chandler Bing.