Five Influential First Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

1. Sarah Polk

Sarah Polk, wife of the eleventh president, was known for being well educated. She studied at one of the first institutions to allow women. She often helped her husband by writing speeches for him and is known as one of the most respected first ladies to date.

2. Eleanor Roosevelt

When most people think of a first lady who used her position of power to do good they think of Eleanor Roosevelt. She fought constantly for civil rights, women’s rights and rights to education. Later in her life she was on the board of directors for the NAACP and was also a leader for the UN Human Rights Commission.

3. Jacqueline Kennedy

Jackie Kennedy is one of the most loved first women. She is, to this day, still a huge fashion icon and seen as a woman of grace. Jackie was a well educated and well spoken woman who shown in the spotlight. She restored the white house during her husband’s term and once it was completed she made a televised tour. After Kennedy’s assassination the United States applaud her for her ability to face fear head on.

4. Betty Ford

Betty Ford never shied away from talking about the important things. She opened up to America about her past psychiatric treatments and her pro-abortion stance. She spread breast cancer awareness after going through a mastectomy herself and always pushed for the Equal Rights Amendment.

5. Michelle Obama

Not only did Michelle Obama have a successful life before becoming a first lady, ivy league grad and a well known lawyer, but she also had great success while her husband was in office. She actively supports military families and is doing her part in ending childhood obesity by advocating for healthy eating habits. She’s helped plant gardens, inspired new fashion trends and created new initiatives around bettering young people.