This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.
If I could describe an average Parisian woman’s style, I would say it’s effortlessly sophisticated. I remember when I started packing for Paris, I was convinced I would look like a bum next to the impeccably well-dressed Parisian woman. I imagined the women to wallk down the street like they were on the runway. Whether they’re going to a party, a cafe or work, Parisians have a way of looking constantly fashionable.  Here is an easy go to outfit that will make you look like another Parisian woman on the street.

1) Blazer
The color doesn’t matter. The cut doesn’t either. I’ve seen blazers in all sorts of styles. I normally pulled mine out of the closet for interviews or for important business presentations. Here, though, the Parisian women wear them like I wear my yoga pants. I’ve found that blazers go with any outfit and instantly make you look more professional.

2) Leather bottoms
These are absolutely huge in Paris. Whether it’s leather pants or a skirt, this is a must. It’s amazing how many outfits you can pair with this item. I bought a leather skirt and I love wearing it. My leather skirt has become a favorite and I wear it for every occasion: parties, presentations, travel or just to meet friends at a café. I don’t know how I’ve gotten by without this piece, but I don’t ever plan on living without it again.

3) Tights
I only wore tights when my skirts were uncomfortably short. Here, their worn with everything: dresses, skirt and long shirts. I invested in a few pairs and I’ve fallen in love. I match this with my leather skirt and I instantly feel more sophisticated. Don’t just stick with black, either. My favorite pair are my white tights. It isn’t as traditional, but they’re so much fun and they liven up any outfit.

4) High heeled boots
I always heard Parisian women wear their high heels as often as I wear my converse, but I always pictured them in stilletos. It’s a relief that this isn’t the case.  While most women wear them, they’re practical about it. Most women wear a short and bulkier heel. This makes it a lot easier to walk on the pebblestone roads and doesn’t give off a “try-hard” vibe.

5) Sheer top
I always see women wearing these shirts. They don’t wear them in neon colors like in San Francisco (such as highlighter yellow, orange, pink etc). Rather, women tend to wear more natural colors, such as white, navy, black or tan. The most common one is white. What’s fun, though, is that they wearing nothing underneath these tops. So, really, seeing the color of someone’s bra doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Christa Balingit

San Francisco

My name is Christa Balingit. I'm a senior at San Francisco State University. I'm majoring in International Business but have always had a passion for journalism. Right now I'm studying abroad in Paris, France.. Check out my blog to learn about my adventures and discoveries about the fashion capital of the world!