Ditching Sweater Weather: How to Make the Most Out of a Sunny Day at SF State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

The past couple of days have seen warm and sunny weather here at SF State, and this weekend is going to supposedly rise to the 70’s according to the WeatherChannel.com, so us San Franciscans better prepare ourselves and take advantage of this spring like warm spell before more rain sets in. Lets make the most out of having the sun out for a while and enjoy it before it’s gone, so here are five ways to make the most out of a sunny day at SF State: 

5) Start to work on your tan: After months of wearing jeans, boots and sweaters and enduring cold and foggy days, one can look quite pale, and lack the warm summer glow that you may get during the warmer months of the year. If there is a sunny day on campus, break out of those jeans and pull on some shorts or a skirt and go for a walk, or sit outside in the quad and read. It may not be as effective as laying on a white sand beach in the middle of summer in Hawaii, but at least you might get some color after staying inside a lot during the winter months. You’ll also get some much – needed vitamin D, which is produced naturally when your skin is exposed to sunlight, and can benefit your bones and teeth, making them stronger, according to healthline.com. So soak up the sunrays when they are out, and that way you can get your tan ready for spring break and receive some healthy vitamins. 

4) Exercise outside: A cloud free beautiful sunny day always makes it so much more motivating to head out the door and burn some calories. When it is dreary and foggy, you are tempted to stay inside, curl up in a blanket and watch Netflix, but when it is sunny, the warm weather seems much more motivating. Lace up your tennis shoes and go for a walk or jog around Lake Merced. If there is a particular sport you enjoy doing, head outside with a friend and kick around the soccer ball or play a game of tennis. If you really want to get more involved in sports around campus, but aren’t completely dedicated to join a team, you can join a fun and casual intermural sport such as ultimate Frisbee, or tag football. You’ll get to enjoy the nice weather and burn off the excess Valentine’s Day candy as well! 

3) Study outside: Since we are finally getting into the swing of things with our classes, and beginning to get mountains of homework and studying, it might be a good idea to take your books and homework and study outside. Instead of being cooped up in your dorm or library, spread yourself out on the grass while you get to work. Being outside can make your ‘to-do’ list seem less stressful too since you can feel the light breeze on your skin, or hear the birds chirping in the distance… much nicer than the annoying sounds you can hear students make while working in the library. With San Francisco’s foggy climate, the lawn at the quad never really gets a change to dry out, however, when it is sunny, you can take the advantage of sitting outside and enjoy the sunshine (and you won’t have to worry about getting a damp bottom). 

2) Get out your spring wardrobe: Nothing is nicer than dusting off your spring clothes and donning some sunglasses and sandals once again. San Francisco’s fashion is usually conducive to warm sweaters, wind breakers, and boots, however when it is warm you can break this mold and go for cute skirts (floral prints and jean skits seem to be trending), dresses, rompers, shorts, and bohemian chic off the shoulder blouses, which have been making an appearance around campus.

1) Go to the beach: Making a trip to the beach around town can be a freezing affair. Usually when you go to a San Francisco beach, it comes with wearing four layers, and not even dreaming about getting in the water. However, as soon as it hits that 60 degree mark, it can be much more warm and lovely at Ocean Beach. You may not want to try swimming just this yet, since the average temperature of the Bay in the winter time is 58 degrees, but you can still enjoy the slightly warmer sand and the sun, versus the usual fog and drizzle. Take a walk on the beach with friends, bring a volleyball, or take a picnic. Ocean beach also allows bonfires, so if you wanted to make a day out of it, you can stay and watch the sunset and roast marshmallows. A yummy and beautiful opportunity to enjoy the warmer weather and the beautiful scenery that comes alive in San Francisco when the sun does come out.      

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.