This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you either:

1. Fall asleep through scary movies.

2. Watch them and end up not being able to sleep at all.

With this factored into Halloween, I often opt out of the modern, horror movies that many people have grown to love and cherish. Instead of binge watching scary movies on Netflix, I watch Disney movies. As I grew older, I have grown more appreciative of their sinister personalities and ways. 

Needless to say, here are the top ten Disney villains that keep the spirit of Halloween alive all year round.

10. Shan-Yu, Mulan

Villain Quote: “By building his wall he challenged my strength. Well, I’m here to play his game.”

One of Disney’s most underappreciated villains, Shan-Yu is willing to kill in masses of cold blood to take over China. However, we don’t know a lot about his backstory or his motives of why he wants to take over the country. He loses points for not having a villain theme song. 

9. Maleficent, Sleeping Beauty 

Villain Quote: “The princess shall indeed grow in grace and beauty, beloved by all who know her. But… before the sun sets on her 16th birthday, she shall prick her finger – on the spindle of a spinning wheel – and DIE!”

Maleficent cursed baby Princess Aurora because King Stefan didn’t invite her to a party. However, she can turn into a dragon, which is pretty wicked. 

8. Queen Grimhilde/Witch, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Villian Quote: “But to make doubly sure you do not fail, bring back [Snow White’s] heart in this.”

Queen Grimhilde hired a Huntsman to kill Snow White and lock her heart inside of a box to prove that she was dead. All because Snow White was fairer than her. Not only did she do that, but she transformed herself into an old witch to give Snow White a poisoned apple.

All for the name of beauty. 

7.  Jafar, Aladdin

Villain Quote: You’ve heard of the golden rule, haven’t you? Whoever has the gold makes the rules.”

I’m not sure what’s scarier – Jafar’s beard or his personality. He’s definitely powerful and has manipulated the Sultan for years while he was his consultant. 

6. Mother Gothel, Tangled 

Villain Quote: “You want me to be the bad guy? Fine. I’ll be the bad guy.” 

Mother Gothel’s villainy is for one selfish purpose- her beauty. She kept a magical flower a secret of hundreds and hundreds of year, only to keep herself young and beautiful. Once the flower was removed from her special hiding spot, she kidnapped Rapunzel and raised her as her own daughter. Mother Gothel pretended to be Rapunzel’s mother, and wiped away her identity and made her believe that the outside world was a scary place. She also stabbed Flynn Rider, which is pretty villainous. 

5. Dr. Facilier, The Princess and the Frog

Villain Quote:We’re gonna find ourselves a frog. Search everywhere, the bayou, the quarter… bring him to me alive. I need his heart pumping… for now.”

Don’t mess with Dr. Facilier, or else he’ll have voodoo, or his ‘friends from the other side’ come out to get you. He takes advantage of those around him, all to make an extra buck in order to pay off his debt. We’re not sure how he got involved with voodoo in the first place, but don’t turn green over this villain. 

4. Ursula, The Little Mermaid

Villain Quote: “You’ll have your looks. Your pretty face and don’t underestimate the importance of ‘body language.’ Ha!”

Ursula is definitely one of the most sinister fish in the sea. When she realizes that Ariel is going to outsmart her, she takes matters into her own hands. Ursula also uses King Triton’s own daughter as bait, so she could become the ruler of the sea. She’s got sick powers and potions, but also one of the best Disney villain songs that’s definitely not a ‘part of our world.’ 

3. Gaston, Beauty and the Beast 

Villain Quote: “It’s not right for a woman to read. Soon she gets ideas and starts thinking…”

First of all, telling a woman that it’s not right to read is downright scary. Gaston is the embodiment of sexism in a patriarchial society. He was upset that Belle didn’t accept his marriage proposal and found revenge by convincing the whole town that her father was a lunatic and leading a mob of people to kill the Beast. 

2. Scar, The Lion King 

Villain Quote: “Long live the King.” He murdered his own brother and blamed it on his nephew. Need I say more?

1. Frollo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Villain Quote:

Frollo: Remember what I’ve taught you, Quasimodo.  [singing]  Frollo: You are deformed… 

Quasimodo: [singing] I am deformed. 

Frollo: [singing] And you are ugly… 

Quasimodo: [singing] And I am ugly. 

Frollo: [singing] And these are crimes for which the world shows little pity / You do not comprehend… 

Quasimodo: [singing] You are my one defender. 

Frollo: [singing] Out there they’ll revile you as a monster… 

Quasimodo: [singing] I am a monster.  Frollo: [singing] Out there they will hate and scorn and jeer… 

Quasimodo: [singing] Only a monster. 

Frollo: [singing] Why invite their calumny and consternation? / Stay in here / Be faithful to me… 

Quasimodo: [singing] I’m faithful. 

Frollo: [singing] Be grateful to me… 

Quasimodo: [singing] I’m grateful. 

Frollo: [singing] Do as I say, obey, and stay. 

Frollo, Quasimodo: [singing] In here. 

If evil were to take form in a human being, it would be Frollo. He’s creepy, disgusting, and manipulates others to get his way. Frollo is cruel to minorities and uses his money, power, and religion to get away with his actions and words. He takes in Quasimodo, but Frollo convinces him that he is a demon and a monster. If you ask me, he sounds a lot like a particular Republican nominee.  

Honorary Mention: The Sanderson Sisters

Villain Quote: “We desire children.”

It’s not Halloween unless you have the Sanderson Sisters running amok. 

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.