This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Since the semester will soon be winding down, you should have a space that is easily organized for good study sessions and a space that is relaxing for resting in a cozy area. I’ve tgried to accomplish this with my own space, and have found some nice decor items that help make my space good for both work and relaxation. So here are the five ways I used decor to make my room a bit more comfy and organized.

1)  Get a Zen feeling with candles: Even though you can’t light candles in dorms (hello fire alarm) they are nice for ambiance and for the yummy scent. Yet if you do have your own apartment, then feel free to light the candles and enjoy the relaxing flicker of the light and the great scent. There are so many different scented candles that have relaxing scents to them such as mint or eculyptus. If you do live in a dorm, there are also battery operated candles that you can use as well, they don’t have such an strong aroma, but they do offer the same ambiance as a real candle does. You check out the local Target for a big variety in candles. To get even more of the zen feeling, pick up a minature buddha, to use as a paper – weight or book end. You can find little decor items like these at the Tibetan store located in Marin – San Rafael. And lastly, a cute floral stand up calendar can keep a check on essay due dates and exams. 

2) To help yourself stay more organized, get a handy desk lamp like this one, again from Target. Or for an alternative, you can consider a cute coffe mug to store pens, pencils, erasers, and other studying essentials. This cute lamp isn’t an LED lamp, so you don’t have to worry about the lamp getting overheated or burning anything. It also has little compartments for nail files or lotion, or anything else you need to store. Target lamps also come with their own energy conserving lightbulbs. So you get to help your self and your electricty bill.

3) Find a way to hang reminders and notes: One way to make sure you don’t forget to sumbit an essay on Turnitin or pick up a green book for your test is to write yourself a note! I always tend to forget things like returning library books or calling someone back. Tack up a receipt or scrawl a note. Also an inspirational and endearing quote can help if your having a bad day, or give you an extra push when you cramming for a test. String up a clothes line or find some other cute way to hold your notes, I gotta’ hand it to ya, it really helps. You can find this rustic note holder at the museum store at the Legion of Honor. 

4) Stock up on warm blankets and pillows. Especially since San Francisco can get super cold and foggy in the autumn months, it’s good to have a warm and fuzzy blanket on hand.  Also there is nothing like relaxing in a comfy arena of pillows. Once your done studying, you can sit back and watch Netflix in comfort. Pillows also can make a good headboard for you to lean back on if you dont have one. They can also add decorative color and fun to your space as well. My grandma made me this blanket when I was 3, but you can buy pillows like these at Homegoods or Target. However, Marshalls has cheaper alternatives, and more choices.

5) Get a bed-side table for extra storage. These can be extra helpful if you need more storage space. One with a space for books and such can be helpful as well. Also good light is good for studying. Being well organized also means having space to display some of your favorrite books or magazines. Add some soothing greenery to your space with a simple indoor plant or fern. Just remember to water it once a week, or you’ll have a pretty pitiful looking plant. With this simple piece of furniture, you have the ability to have cute decor style and organization. Tables like this green once can be found really cheap at Homegoods, and a variety of plants are sold at the neighboring Trader Joe’s at Stonestown.

Hopefully you’re now more inspireded to re-do your space or improve it to make it both organized and relaxing. Only a few little touches are needed to make it homey and functional. And come finals time, you’ll be happy that you have a space that makes you feel good, and a space that is good for working. 

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.