4 DIY Decorations For Your Thanksgiving Table

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Well ladies Thanksgiving is now only just a week away! This is such an amazing holiday; spending time with loved ones, evaluating your life and thinking about all the things you are thankful for and most importantly…the food. Now if you’re like me, then you are on the edge of your seat just thinking about the food that’ll be on that amazing Thanksgiving table. You’re even more like me if you’re also thinking about what decorations will be put on that table! If you have a yearning for decorating your Thanksgiving table this year, here are a few simple ideas that you can do yourself to spice up the table!

1. Utensil Holder:

Materials: 

• Burlap
  • Paint and paint brush
  • Twine or ribbon
  • Hot glue gun
  • Tag (optional)

Steps:

• First off, you’re going to want to cut out a piece from the burlap material (about 15” by 5”).
  • Next, you’ll take you’re stencil (and it can really be any kind of stencil that you want to get the specific design that you want!) and tape it to the burlap.
  • Once the stencil is securely attached to the burlap you an start painting it!
  • After the paint has completely dried, gently remove the stencil and fold the bottom edge of the burlap (maybe about 5” or at least enough room to be able to fold over the actual utensils).
  • Hot glue both of the sides that have been folded over.
  • Then, lightly hot glue your twine or ribbon to the back of the burlap and wrap it/tie itaround the front part.
  • Once done with that, if you want to, you can attach a cute little tag to the twine or ribbon; you can write, stamp, draw, etc. any little design or wording onto the tag to help give that Thanksgiving feel!
  • After that you’re all done and are ready to place your utensils in your new utensil holder!

2. Fall Centerpiece:

Materials:

• Branches
  • Empty coffee can
  • Hot glue gun
  • Fake flowers
  • Burlap, twine or ribbon (optional)

Steps:

• First, you’ll need to go outside and look for enough branches that will surround a whole coffee can.
  • Once you’ve collected all of the branches and twigs that you’ll need, hot glue them around an empty coffee can in a vertical form.
  • Next, fill the coffee can with any kind of fake flowers that you want; you could also use real flowers and just fill up the coffee can with water.
  • Lastly, if desired, you can tie burlap, twine, ribbon, etc. into a bow around the branches to make it even cuter!
  • Now you’re ready to place your centerpiece in the middle of your amazing Thanksgiving dinner table!

3. Cinnamon Scented Pinecones:

Materials:

• Pineones
  • Cookie sheet
  • Cinnamon essential oil
  • Spray bottle
  • Re-sealable plastic bag
  • Cinnamon (optional)

Steps:

• First you’ll need to collect as many pinecones as you’ll want/need.
  • Once you’ve collected all of the pinecones, set your oven to 200 degrees and place your pinecones on a cookie sheet in the oven and let them sit for about an hour.
  • After about an hour, take the pinecones out of the oven and let them completely cool.
  • Once completely cooled down, place the pinecones in a large plastic bag.
  • Then in a spray bottle, place a few drops of the essential oil and a little bit of water and thoroughly mix it all together.
  • Once your mix is all shaken up, spray a good amount into the plastic bag that’s filled with the pinecones; seal the bag and shake it up, then repeat this process once more.
  • From what I’ve read, it’s been said to let the pinecones set in the bag for up to four to six weeks, but personally I would just let them sit for a few days, place the pinecones where you want them to be set and sprinkle the pinecones with some cinnamon.
  • Either way, once you’re all done just place the pinecones on your Thanksgiving table!

4. Thanksgiving Banner:

Materials:

• Burlap
  • Heavy paper (construction paper could work)
  • Clothes pins
  • Scissors
  • Some sort of string, twine, or ribbon
  • Hot glue gun

Steps:

• First off, cut out your burlap and heavy paper into triangular shapes; you will be placing your heavy paper over the burlap so just keep that in mind! Also make sure to cut out enough triangles depending on how many letters are going to be in your banner.
  • Once you’re all done cutting out, hot glue a heavy paper triangle on top of a burlap triangle; continue this for each of the heavy paper and burlap triangles.
  • Once all of your paper and burlap are glued, you can write out whatever saying or designs you would like to be on your banner, writing/drawing one letter or design on each one of the papers.
  • Once your letters/designs are complete, clip the letters to your ribbon, twine, string, etc. with clothespins.
  • Then attach the ends of your ribbon, twine, string, etc. to wherever you want your banner to be placed near the table! You can attach it by either command strips, nailing into the wall and tying your ends into a bow on the nail or anything else yo ucan think of!

All of these are such great ways to liven up your Thanksgiving table and give you much more of that fall type of feel! These are only a few out of so many ways to decorate the table; if you need more ideas you can check out various DIY blogs or Pinterest! I hope these ideas helped or sparked your interest!