photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Your Declassified Finals Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Time flies when you’re having fun, and this semester sure has flown by! With the end of this school year quickly approaching, many of us are figuring out our summer plans, living situations for next year, and trying not to think about the f-word… Finals. Don’t let the stress of finals ruin your remaining weeks! Here are some do’s and don’ts when dealing with final exams:

DON’T procrastinate with Netflix…

DO time manage… And then reward yourself with Netflix!

DON’T binge eat sweets, super salty foods or carbo-load…

DO eat heart healthy, fresh foods that will give your brain the fuel it needs to study. And with helpful delivery services like Postmates, good eating became a lot easier! Additionally, chewing gum can help you chillax through the reduction of cortisol levels.

DON’T pull all nighters…

DO be sure to get proper sleep! Sleep is important for memory as it allows time for information to be both processed and retained. A restful night’s sleep will allow you to be alert and focused for your finals. And if you’re tired, take a break with a little nap. Short naps of about 30 minutes, waking up right before you fall into REM sleep, can work wonders for you. After all, who doesn’t love sleep?

DON’T cram…

DO space out your studying so as to help with information retention. The spacing effect proves to be more effective than cramming, aka last minute studying. Try to study in intervals, focusing on a few things over an extended period of time. You will be amazed at the results on your memory.

DON’T resort to coping with your stress by partaking in unhealthy habits like binge drinking or doing drugs…

DO something positive such as exercising, meditating, and/or relaxing. Light yoga, walking and even deep breathing can make a world of difference. Alcohol is a depressant; whereas, exercising will give you energy with a rush of endorphins.

DON’T light up a cigarette to de-stress…

DO light a nicely scented candle. Light up your life literally and add some sparks to your studying! Aromatherapy can be extremely relaxing, and scents such as lavender have a calming effect. 

DON’T drink an excess amount of energy drinks…

DO indulge in other forms of caffeine such as moderate amounts of coffee or green tea, which is high in antioxidants. Drinking tea can also help to lower cortisol, the stress hormone.

DON’T stress about your stress…

DO listen to music, draw, write, get a massage, laugh, hug, and even kiss! Besides all the positive health benefits such as the reduction of stress that these relaxing as well as connecting activities offer, they are just good for the human spirit!