Meet the Captain of the Dance Team and this Week’s Standout: Annika Jackson!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Hometown:

San Jose, California

Major:

Major: Business Administration, Minor: Psychology

Why did you choose USD?

Well, technically I didn’t really choose USD….. USD kind of runs in the family. Long story short, my parents met, then a few years later got married in the Immaculata. I grew up hearing so many stories about how much both my parents loved USD and how awesome the school was. I’ve dreamed about coming here for as long as I can remember, so there was no real choice after I got in. I knew it was the place for me when I was moving into my dorm freshman year because I got assigned to the same room my dad lived in when he was an RA in Maher.

What are you involved in on campus?

I am captain of the USD Dance Team.

What do you love most about being the captain of the dance team?

What I love the most was how rewarding the experience was. As a team we accomplish so many goals, which I am blessed to say I was a part of. I never thought in a million years that as a sophomore I would be a captain of my college dance team, but I wouldn’t trade the experience for the world. Another thing I love about being captain is getting so close to my fabulous co-captain, Ariana Middleman. We had the same vision for the team and worked great together. I know this year wouldn’t have been as successful without her leadership.

What I love most about the team as a whole is that I get to do what I love with my best friends by my side. Dance Team has brought me some of my closest friends in the world and I wouldn’t be the person I am today without my team.    

What is your favorite event you have held with the dance team, or tournament you have competed in?

This is hard because I am very biased and I love everything dance team related. But my favorite event this year was when we competed at the USA Collegiate Hip Hop Nationals in Anaheim. We were in the Division I category and for the first time in a very long time we placed and brought home a trophy! We earned 4th place overall, beating out Boise State, Idaho State, University of Colorado, and University of Hawaii. Our dance team was by far the smallest school in the entire Division 1 category, so it was a huge deal that we placed. This was my favorite event because we worked so hard throughout the year to earn the respect of the dance world. So many people have underestimated our team but we definitely proved them wrong this year.

Where is your happy place in San Diego?

Any place that serves bean and cheese burritos and cookie dough ice-cream.

How do you relieve stress, especially with finals coming in a few weeks?

Kickboxing and having my mom send me pictures of my dogs…two of the cutest English bulldogs.

What is your dream job?

My dream job would be to start my own animal shelter and take care of lots puppies and kittens.

What do you plan to do after college?

Adopt a golden retriever.

Relationship status?

Haha very good question… single.

Thanks for speaking with us, Annika!