Get Some Sleep! Seriously…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

How many of you get at least 7 hours of sleep each night during the week? Yeah, me either. If you, like me, answered “no” to this question, did you know that because of your lack of sleep you are more likely to be tired during the day, suffer from things like ADD, depression, obesity, heart attack and even a shorter lifespan? As college students we’re definitely guilty of getting too little sleep, but I hope to explain to you the importance of getting enough each night so that you each make a change in your normal routine in order to get all the benefits that sleep can bring.   

Low prioritization of sleep is common among college students. From academics, to a social life, to involvement in clubs,  to watching Netflix, we all have a lot going on. As explained by researchers at Georgia State University, “College is a well-known time for stress.  Stress is detrimental to good health and sleep habits, both of which are crucial for academic success.” These researchers go on to further explain their study in which most students reported getting less than six hours of sleep during the weekdays and often feel fatigued during the day.

Sleep deprivation has both short term and long-term effects on the body. In the short term, lack of sleep can result in the following: decreased performance and alertness, memory and cognitive impairment, stress, and increased chance of injury. In the long-term sleep deprivation can result in heart attack, high blood pressure, stroke, obesity, depression, ADD, mental impairment and overall poorer quality of life. 

If and when we do get a good nights sleep, the benefits are numerous and can definitely improve our quality of life. According to health.com, studies show that sleeping can help improve memory, spur creativity, improve academic and physical performance, sharpen attention, maintain a healthy weight, lower stress, avoid depression, and live longer! The benefits of sleep are literally life changing.

They say in college there are three things: a social life, school, and sleep…pick two. But if we chose just a little more sleep every night, maybe we could have time for all three! Imagine how much better your life would be if you got a few extra hours of sleep. We would probably all have A’s, have the energy to get all our homework and tasks done during the day, and be able to go out and be social too!

The Mayo Clinic suggests a 7 step plan to get a better sleep:

1. Step one is to stick to a sleep schedule. Going to bed and getting up at the same time every day helps your body develop a consistent sleep cycle.

2. Step two is to pay attention to what you eat and drink before you go to bed, being too full or too hungry often causes discomfort which makes falling asleep difficult. Also, drinking caffeine or alcohol within a few hours of going to sleep can easily disrupt sleep.

3. Step three involves having a bedtime “ritual.”  This means doing the same thing every night before falling asleep like taking a shower, listening to calm music, or reading a book. Watching TV is often not a good thing to do before bed because it interferes with sleep.

4. Step four is to get comfortable, making sure the room is dim and your bed and pillows are comfortable. 

5. Step five is to avoid napping during the day. If you absolutely need a nap try to limit it to about 10-20 minutes.

6. Step six is to exercise during the day because this can promote falling asleep quickly and help you to enjoy deeper sleep.

7. The seventh and final step is manage stress. When you are thinking about a million things before falling asleep your sleep is most likely going to suffer. As college students with incredibly busy lives this is often unavoidable, but getting organized during the day is a great way to combat this.

As college students there are a million things that cut into the hours when we should be sleeping. From schoolwork to friends, involvement in campus organizations, parties, and Netflix, sleep may not always seem like the most important thing. However, after hearing all the negative effects that sleep deprivation can have on your body in both the short term and the long term, I want you to think about your own sleep habits.           

– Think about what you have to do tomorrow, what time do you have to get up?

– Now count back 8 hours, and I challenge you to try going to bed at this time tonight.  

– Create a routine for yourself before going to bed and you will sleep like a baby and feel better than ever when you wake up tomorrow!

san francisco, ca Sports Reporter at NBC sunshine enthusiast