Fitness Guru Tara Nicole’s Summer Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Are you looking to perfect your beach body for this upcoming summer? Fitness guru Tara Nicole (better known as “T”) shared some of her favorite fitness moves and tips with us!

1. Dumbbell sit-up: Begin by laying flat on your back, holding two dumbbells straight up overhead. While holding the weights overhead, raise your torso up into a full sit-up and then lower yourself back to the ground. This exercise is a great core builder working the lower abdominals, as well as engaging the shoulders working the trapezius muscle.

2. Dumbbell Overhead Lunge: Begin by having your feet shoulders-width apart and holding two dumbbells next to your sides. (Press the dumbbells up overhead). While holding the dumbbells overhead, lunge forward with one leg. Return that leg to its starting position, then switch and lunge forward with the opposite leg. This exercise targets the quads and glutes, while also engaging the core by holding the dumbbells up overhead. For a nice challenge, you can add a dumbbell press in between each lunge.

3. Dumbbell Front squat: This exercise is a more challenging variation of an air squat. Begin by having your feet just slightly wider than a shoulder’s width stance holding a dumbbell next to your side in each hand. Press the dumbbells overhead, then lower the dumbbells so they are partially resting on your shoulders. While holding the dumbbells in this position, lower yourself into a squat being sure to keep your weight back on your heels, chest up, and forcing your knees out. This exercise is good for adding weight and resistance to a regular air squat targeting the quads and glutes.

4. Stair runs: Running stairs is a good alternate source of cardio that changes up just running on the treadmill. When broken up into sets and intervals, it is a great form of HIIT (high intensity interval training) that is very effective and efficient in fat burning. Along with cardio, stairs are a great overall workout that can help to tone the legs.

5. Stay Hydrated! It is so important to drink a good amount of water before, during and after workouts. You’ll get the most out of your workout and feel good while you’re doing it!

T has Fit Camp workouts on Manchester field at the University of San Diego Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 7:15 PM. Look forward to beach workouts this summer! Dates and times are TBD. People can visit Tara’s website here and follow her on Instagram @its_tee20. You can also contact her with questions and keep up with her workouts by liking her Facebook page here.

Just a Texas girl livin' in a sunny San Diego world