XXXTentacion Sparks Controversy for Lynching Child in His “Look at me” Music Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Rapper XXXTencasion has been the topic of conversation over social media after the release of his music video for the single “Look At Me”. It has since garnered over 9.8 million views on YouTube in just four days.

The song begins playing at the start, but the supposed music video quickly turns into a political statement when the rapper and other black men can be seen hanging from trees. Emmett Till, Philando Castille and Heather Heyer are three names that flash across the screen as reenactments of their deaths play in the background.

Halfway through the video, we see the rapper standing on the stage with a black and white child in front of an audience. XXXTentacion places a noose on the white child’s head and pulls a rope, lifting him in the air. The child’s legs twitch as everyone stares at his body.

The end of the video shows the rapper speaking on the injustices against black people as well as white supremacy. Many approve of the video’s message saying it was thought-provoking while others feel the hanging of a child was disturbing. YouTubers and Twitter users agree it was shocking.

Others believe this imagery made a vital point. Audiences are so desensitized to seeing a black person lynched that it causes little to no reaction, but a white child being hung is vile. The video’s casting director LaShawnna Stanley says XXXTentacion wanted viewers to see a reversed view of slavery.

Using innocent children to portray this message makes its impact even stronger.

XXXTentacion has sadly gained the attention of the KKK. He posted on Instagram that a member of the group contacted him and left a threatening message. The man can be heard saying he will hunt the rapper down. XXX seems unfazed by the threat.

Anjelique Wilson is a senior at Salisbury University, majoring in Communication arts. She loves musical theater and hopes to obtain a career in the arts. You'll often catch her singing along to musicals and watching her favorite youtubers. She joined her campus to be involved with a platform that allows her to freely express herself
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.