This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I constantly need some type of change in my life. Whether it’s moving things around in my room or trying a new makeup look, it doesn’t matter, something’s going to have to change.

Maybe it’s because it makes me feel more in control in my life but regardless of the reason, my hair is the one that suffers the most from this habit of mine.

I’ve dyed my hair all colors of the rainbow, have gotten bangs, layers, weird hairstyles, you name it. But the one thing that I found impacted me the most was when I cut all my hair off into a pixie.

I did it at time where I was dealing with stress from work, taking a semester off from school, or dealing with a whole lot of drama. It forced me to get rid of my security blanket and embrace who I was, without having hair I could hide the torture behind when I felt stressed.

It definitely taught me more about my hair since I’m bi-racial and never really knew what to do with it so I either had it French braided or in a bun. Having such short hair also made me look at my face a different way to see what features stood out.

I definitely embraced the growing out process and invested a little too much money in hair scarves, bows, headbands and other hair accessories I didn’t really need. It forced me to love and care for my natural hair after abusing it so much with chemicals and deterred me going crazy with the hair dye like I used to.

I think that everyone should go through a short hair phase to learn about themselves and to truly appreciate their hair and overall natural beauty. You shouldn’t worry about it not looking good because gurllllll you’ll look good regardless!

But if it worries you that much, you could always learn how to tie headscarves for those insecure days or even try on a wig with short hair to see if you’re ready to take the jump.

I'm a student at Salisbury University studying to major in Medical Laboratory with hopes of going into the Forensic field. I love my Puggle named Bruno and am blessed to have a great group of friends.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.