The Top 5 Ways To Stay On Track This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

The time is finally here. Finals are done, grades are posted, and you are free for the summer. Now that you’ve got your summer plans, it’s time to forget about school and not worry about it at all, right?

Wrong. Well, kind of… You should be out having fun, enjoying the summer as much as you can. This does not mean however that you should completely forget about school and the responsibilities that come with it.

1. Check your emails

This is probably the easiest thing you can do this summer to make sure you know what’s going on. If your teacher emails you some important information or your advisor wants you to be aware of something important, this is the only way they likely know how to contact you.

This way, if any issues do arise, you’re learning about it in June and not the last week of August. I personally try to check my email every day or every other day, but if you’re not as interested, I would recommend one to two days a week.

2. Consider taking a class

I get it. You’ve just finished what feels like the longest semester of your life and now I want you to take more classes. But as someone who has taken both summer and winter classes, I’m the person to tell you it’s worth it.

Doing so can help you get ahead (or catch up if you’re a little bit behind). I’m personally not a fan of in-class summer classes where you have to be there five days a week, but if you’re here in Salisbury, why not? For those who aren’t in Salisbury, or like to travel, online classes are the way to go. Just make sure that you can hold yourself accountable to actually get the work done.

3. Get an internship

Internships, especially summer ones, are a great way to show that you’re dedicated to your education and your future career. Taking time out of your busy summer life shows the kind of student and employee you might be. Although it’s a little late to be finding a summer internship, there still may be hope, so I would recommend looking at sites like Indeed and Linkedin.

4. Keep a routine

Having a routine will be your saving grace when you come back to school. Your sleeping patterns are something you should especially try to get in line, at least two weeks before school starts.

If you’ve been going to bed at three and getting up at twelve all summer, coming back to those eight a.m. classes might be a struggle. Plus, having a general schedule will help with the kind of planning and organization you need during the semester.

5. Review your finances

It’s true that money makes the world go round, especially if you’re a college student on a strict budget. Having a clear understanding of your financial situation, as it relates to both tuition and your personal life, will help when coming back to school.

This lets you know how much you need to be saving during the summer and how much you have to spend during the semester. Having this knowledge before a problem arises will only help you in the future. For more tips on saving money click here.

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.