Summer For Writers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

During summer break, we all find it quite difficult sometimes to occupy ourselves every single day of it. As someone who likes writing, I get a lot of ideas over the summer but don’t really know what to do with them. Here are a few ways you can keep your writing skills up to scratch and express your ideas throughout your upcoming vacation.

Join Wattpad: Wattpad is an authentic website where users can share their original stories and poems to hundreds of millions of readers. You are able to copyright your work and even win competitions to get your work published!

Start a Blog: Come up with a great idea for a blog that you think will get a lot of attention from internet users, and go right ahead with creating it. You can design and edit it as much as you want so  it can look super professional, thus gaining even more attention.

Write for Her Campus: Her Campus gives budding writers and journalists a fantastic opportunity to publicly and freely write about various topics. This is a great way to practice your writing in a professional setting, and make exciting connections.

Write and Send: Feeling ambitious and confident? Put your all into your work until you feel that it is good enough to send to a publishing company. They only read about the first one hundred (or much less) pages of your manuscript, and if it’s not good, they toss it. Make sure that you are content with your work before you send it in.

Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.