jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Stardom of Lupita Nyong’o

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Lupita Amondi Nyong’o was born March 1, 1983 in Mexico City, Mexico to Kenyan parents Dorothy and Peter Anyang Nyong’o. She was first raised in Kenya but at age 16 she was sent back to Mexico for seven months to learn Spanish. She read film studies at Hampshire College, Massachusetts and after working as a production assistant on several films she graduated from Yale’s School of Drama acting program.

She began her Hollywood career in 2008 where she debuted in the short film “East River.” She then returned to Kenya to star in the television series Shuga in 2009. Soon after graduation she landed her first feature film role as Patsy in Steve McQueen’s drama “12 Years a Slave”  which landed her an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

She became the first Kenyan and first Mexican actress to win an Academy Award. She has since been featured in films such as” Queen of Katwe” and the “Jungle Book”. She has since set up foundations advocating globally for elephants with the International conservation organization WildAid as well as promote women’s issues.

She is significantly involved in the organization Mother Health international which provides relief to women and children in Uganda. Due to the many accomplishments that Lupita has she is a great role model for today’s generation.

Hey guys! Bobbi Amar-Atsen is a graduate of Salisbury University with a Bachelors in Business Management and a concentration in Human Resources. When she is not binge watching Black Mirror or The Get Down she is reading a Thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini (again) and taking long meaningful walks to her fridge. In her spare time she enjoys taking photographs of the beautiful people, and scenery around her. In the future she hopes to open up her own nonprofit organization in Ghana and work for a large company. She joined Her Campus Salisbury to gain more experience with writing, and connect with other empowering women.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.