This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Truth is some of your friends are liable for one or two things on this list because, no friend is truly perfect. However, if you find that your “friend” is blameworthy of many of the things on this list chances are they aren’t meant to be your friend, and you need to find better friends.

1.They never want to hang out.  Your friend should want to hang out with you. If getting your friend to spend time with you is difficult chances are they do not appreciate your company. It is a known fact that people are busy, but if someone is truly your friend they will make time for you.

2.They only reach out when they need something. If you notice that your friend is constantly turning down invitations to hang out with you, and they only reach out when they need a favor, they are most likely using you. And you need to drop them.

3.They never share anything with you. If you realize that you are always opening up to your friend, and sharing your secrets with them but they never do the same, they probably do not consider you a close friend. It is true that some people find it harder to open up, but is it fair if you are always opening up to them, and their life is kept under wraps?

4.They talk badly about everyone to you. If the only conversations you have with your friend revolves around you talking poorly about other people, chances are they gossip about you to other people too. Truth be told you do not need that kind of negativity in your life.

5.They judge you. It’s okay for your friend to offer advice and constructive criticism. But if you find yourself anxious to talk to your friend about certain things for fear of them judging you, and making you feel bad about your choices, they are not the friend for you.

6.They are constantly humiliating you in front of your other friends. If they are always insulting you or cutting you off in front of other people, it is impolite and selfish. You do not need that negativity in your life. Friends should uplift you, not put you down and make you feel less than.

7.They are never happy for you. Your friend should be your biggest fan. If you feel as though your friend never has anything nice to say when you achieve your goals, or they try to one up you, it is a sign they view you as competition, and not as a friend. It is true that within friendships things will get competitive, but your friendship should not feel like a constant competition.

8.They constantly make fun of you. Friends are going to tease each other, it comes with the package, but if you feel like your friend takes things too far, way too often, you are not overreacting. Explain to your friend how you feel, and if they brush your feelings off, it is a sign they are not considerate of your feelings.

9.They only talk about themselves. If you find yourself regularly listening to your friend talk about their problems, offering them advice, and consoling them, but you never get the same effort in return. It is a sign your friend may be self-centered, and does not appreciate you.

If you are trying to decide whether your friends are authentic or not, hopefully these signs helped you figure out what kind of friends to surround yourself with. 

Hey guys! Bobbi Amar-Atsen is a graduate of Salisbury University with a Bachelors in Business Management and a concentration in Human Resources. When she is not binge watching Black Mirror or The Get Down she is reading a Thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini (again) and taking long meaningful walks to her fridge. In her spare time she enjoys taking photographs of the beautiful people, and scenery around her. In the future she hopes to open up her own nonprofit organization in Ghana and work for a large company. She joined Her Campus Salisbury to gain more experience with writing, and connect with other empowering women.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.