Salisbury’s November Pick: Hasna Jalloh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

For this profile I decided to  speak to Hasna Jalloh as she is somewhat of a makeup connoisseur. I feel as though she would be a perfect interviewee on the subject . Let’s see what she has to say.

HC:  What is one makeup product that you have to have with you at all times?

HJ: My eyebrow powder and angle brush.

HC: When did you start to do your own make up? Do you see yourself doing it in the future?

HJ: My Freshman year of high school. Yep.

HC: What are your favorite makeup companies and why?

HJ: Fenty Beauty  because Rihanna is out here representing for all the women of color and it’s a brand that wasn’t made just for profit. It has a shade for everyone and has reasonable prices as well. She’s doing what a lot of other companies don’t do. Two others are Black Opal and Black Radiance because they always have my shade.

HC: Do people, guys especially, judge you based off of make up? And what about girls?

HJ: I feel like guys don’t really care about make up for the most part, but know when it doesn’t look good. And they may have opinions on it but keep quiet because they don’t want to receive any backlash. But they’re not as critical as girls.Girls are so much more judgemental about each other’s makeup.

HC: What makeup trends do you like? Which do you dislike?

HJ:  I like contouring a lot and doing my eyebrows and eyeshadow because to me eyes and eyebrows are the most important features of your face. I hate those squiggly eyebrows, like it’s too much. The same with cake face. Personally, I don’t want to look completely different from how I normally do without makeup.

HC: If you could, what kind of product or trend would you invent or popularize to the public?

HJ: A contouring palette for people who are two toned or an eyeshadow palette.

HC: Do you feel make up can be a competition between females, especially in certain environments like parties?

HJ: Definitely, it feel like girls look at each other and critique each other, It’s one of the reasons why I don’t like telling people that I’m really into make up.

HC: Do you have any criticism/desires for the American makeup industry, like things you’d like to see change? Products that you’d like?

HJ:  Just more variety of shades for black people in general to use.  

HC: Do you feel like because of your features that you can’t or don’t do certain makeup styles?

HJ: Certain colors are harder to pull of for lipstick and eyeshadow.

HC: On average, American women spend about 15,000 dollars on makeup in their lifetime, any thoughts regarding this fact?

HJ:  I probably will spend more. I feel like with makeup you get what you pay for in terms of prices.

HC: Does it ever become overwhelming having to be informed on so many aspects of makeup and/or having to look a certain way?

HJ: No, not really. I kind of just go with flow and do my own thing. If I see a style I’m interested in I research it.

HC: How do you feel about certain girls using makeup to hide certain ethnic features? Like the shape of your eyes or nose?

HJ:  I feel like makeup has played a role in influencing some women to conform to certain beauty standards but I don’t think that represent the majority. Most girls don’t do specific makeup styles because they feel pressured to, they do it because they like it.

Jeanie Amara is currently attend Salisbury University and her major is Graphic Design. She would like to work on an animation team as her dream career. An interesting fact about her is that she is bilingual in Spanish and is able to create videos using Adobe premiere.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.