Salisbury’s March Pick for Women’s History Month: Nafisah Hannan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

I first met Nafisah through social media my Freshman year of High School. I was very impressed with her style, and impeccable taste in fashion. I loved how she put the simplest, monochromatic pieces together, and made them look so trendy. We’ve kept in touch over the years, and I finally got the chance to ask her some questions about her style and motivation.

HC: At what age did you become fascinated with fashion?

NH: I think the age I became interested in fashion was around the age of 12 (when I look back at my fashion sense back then, it does make me cringe). I do think I was interested in fashion before that, but I became more ‘aware’ of it at 12.  I don’t really know why I was interested in fashion back then, I guess I just generally enjoyed looking good.  

HC: Who would you say is your number one fashion inspiration and why?

NH:  My number one fashion inspiration is Karrueche Tran because we definitely have the same taste – she is my fashion twin, as cheesy as that sounds. Her style is versatile, in the simplest way. She is able to put the most casual pieces together, but yet somehow still make her outfits look dressed up, whether she is wearing heels or not, giving that effortless look (which is what I always aim to do). I say ‘whether or not she is wearing heels’, because heels ALWAYS dress up any outfit. Anyway, to get a better insight of what I am trying to say, just go check out her style, it’ll make more sense.  Whenever I am stuck on what to wear, I head straight to her Instagram to give me inspiration. Her wardrobe is definitely one I would steal if I could – and wish I actually could.

HC: What made you decide to start blogging?

NH: I decided to start blogging in order to share my outfits, and somehow inspire others. Rather than just post a picture on Instagram, blogging allows me to explain why I put certain outfits together, the aim of the look that I was going for and where I got what I am wearing.  Also, I am a cheapskate so I wanted to show that you really do not have to splurge to look good and I wanted to show how I am always able to find the greatest deals!

HC: How do you stay updated on the current trends?

NH: I stay updated on current trends simply through social media, especially Instagram and Tumblr. There are so many fashion accounts that show what is currently trending and how to style certain items, which gives me huge inspiration. Along with social media, I browse through online websites, which obviously show what is trending at the moment as well.

HC: Do you feel as though your style is a direct representation of yourself?

NH: Definitely! I think this applies to everyone (whether or not you are into fashion). Your style easily gives a slight outlook on your personality. In addition, when I look good, I feel good and when I don’t, my mood drops, so my style also plays a key role in my mood.

HC: What are the top three must have wardrobe pieces in your opinion?

NH: My top three must have wardrobe pieces currently are black leggings, jumpsuits and a nice handbag. Black leggings are my go to, as they go with everything and are comfy. With someone with skinny legs like mine, it is hard to find skinny jeans that fit well and are cheap. Leggings do the job in giving my legs the shape that they have. Jumpsuits are a must have because they are basically two outfits for the price of one. I say that because you can wear them simply as a jumpsuit or wear them as pants and wear a jumper or t-shirt on top. Finally, a nice handbag because I love bags and it is easy to find a cheap bag that looks expensive, making your whole outfit look more expensive that it actually is. Bags are the perfect accessory (if it can be classed as one?).

HC: What are your plans for the future?

NH: My plans for the future when it comes to my blog is for it to grow and for potential opportunities to come up from it, maybe something stylist related (as that is something I did want to pursue before) or something fashion blogging related in general.

To keep updated with Nafisah here are all of her social media links:

Instagram/Twitter/YouTube: @nafisahth

Blog: https://nafisahth.blogspot.co.uk/

Hey guys! Bobbi Amar-Atsen is a graduate of Salisbury University with a Bachelors in Business Management and a concentration in Human Resources. When she is not binge watching Black Mirror or The Get Down she is reading a Thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini (again) and taking long meaningful walks to her fridge. In her spare time she enjoys taking photographs of the beautiful people, and scenery around her. In the future she hopes to open up her own nonprofit organization in Ghana and work for a large company. She joined Her Campus Salisbury to gain more experience with writing, and connect with other empowering women.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.