Salisbury’s Pick for Motivated Women on Campus: Diamond Bowman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Diamond Bowman is a senior at Salisbury University majoring in Accounting. She has attended SU since her freshman year in 2014. She was first welcomed to the university as a Powerful Connections mentee, a program dedicated to getting minority students accommodated to the institution before school begins. This is so that they can build their bonds early through their interactions with the mentors and fellow mentees of the program.  She got involved on campus during her sophomore year and quickly decided she was going to be a Resident Assistant (RA). A job she still currently holds two years later has turned out to be one of the most fulfilling aspects of campus life.  Apart from her academics she is constantly busy with other work from her extracurricular activities but somehow she makes it work. Since we believed that it would be great for others to learn about time management, we have chosen to finally ask her how she does it!

HC: What is the full list of your extracurricular activities?

DB: I am currently an RA, President of Salisbury University’s Collegiate Division of NAACP, a member of SU Gospel Choir and an Intern for a local nonprofit called The Fenix Youth Project.

HC: What made you choose to run for NAACP President?

DB: I chose to run for NAACP President because it has become so infused into my college experience and I wanted to see it grow and continue to flourish. I went from being a general member, to Member-At-Large, to Vice President, to President; I couldn’t imagine letting go of NAACP.

HC: What made you choose to have an internship during your senior year?

DB: I have to have an internship as a requirement to graduate soooo… I was kind of forced. But I also know that it’s purpose is to send me out into the world with experience rather than without.

HC: In one word, describe your fall academic semester?

DB: PACKED!

HC: How do you juggle all of these meetings and events?

DB: I keep literally every little thing on my phone. Contacts, calendars, notes for literally everything. And I am known for having a million alarms as reminders. I currently have 1 shy of 30.

HC: What tips would you give to others that want to take on a lot for their semester?

DB: I would say to pace yourself. Don’t think that having a lot on your plate is an accomplishment, it is being able to properly manage those things and give them your best effort that is important.

HC: What do you do to reduce your stress?

DB: I sing, write, paint and talk with God to ease my stress. Beats stressing and doing absolutely nothing.

HC: What do you do when your activities conflict?

DB: When my activities conflict, for my organization I delegate that’s what having a team is for. And for other things I decide what is most important and what is due first and do them accordingly.

HC: Do you still feel like you are having fun with all of your activities?

DB: I feel like I am having fun when I take a second to enjoy the moment. It doesn’t happen all the time but I am learning.

HC: Will you continue any of your activities after graduation?

DB: I hope to continue to work towards the efforts of the NAACP mixed in with my own efforts to better my community and myself. I also sing with Gospel Choir here on campus, so after graduating I hope to join the chorus at my home church.

Nia Avery

Salisbury

Nia Avery is a driven twenty-one year old who aspires to make a difference by having a positive impact on at least one person, every day. In high school, she was enrolled in a rigorous program called The International Baccalaureate Program. This is where Nia first learned that she had a love for writing however, her skills did not fully develop until she started writing and performing poetry during her last two years of high school. When she started attending Salisbury University in Salisbury, Maryland, she decided to bring her poetry to campus. At SU, she is in her senior year, majoring in Communication Arts and minoring in English. She is also proud to be a third-year Resident Assistant is making strides to ensure that students have a good experience during their time at SU. Nia plans to graduate from Salisbury University and continue her education by going to graduate school to earn her Master's degree in Conflict Analysis and Dispute Resolution. When she has free time, she enjoys hosting movie nights with her friends, writing poems or burying her face in a book.  Her favorite quote is "Be yourself and let your actions reflect your true character," a quote she created during her freshman year of college that has been a motivator throughout her past four years.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.