Mainstream Songs That Can Help You Meditate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

“A practical means for calming yourself, for letting go of your biases and seeing what is, openly and clearly. It is a way of training the mind so that you are not distracted and caught up in its endless churning” -Yoga International

Meditation is a term that seems to appear quite often across all forms of the media. Reiterating the numerous health benefits of the practice has little ability to enact change if we’re unsure where to start. This may be a surprise to some, but meditative songs are so much more than drawn out instrumentals.

What’s important is how the ambient sounds make you feel. I’ve been practicing meditation for a few weeks now and without a doubt notice a change in my mental state. It offers a sense of serenity and order in a world that can be difficult to grasp a strong hold of. Below are a few of my favorite songs to mediate to.

1. Coldplay – “Strawberry Swing

2. Marconi Union – “Weightless

3. Yiruma – “River Flows in You

4. Enya – “Watermark

5. Coldplay – “Don’t Panic

6. James Bay – “Let It Go

7. John Legend – “Ordinary People

8. Lana Del Rey – “Million Dollar Man

9. Alabama Shakes – “Sound & Color

10. Adele – “Someone Like You

11. Daniel Caesar – “Get You

12. Alina Baraz feat. Khalid – “Electric

If you’re not a fan of these tunes, feel free to compile a list of songs that suit your own music tastes. I’ve had these tracks on repeat for a while and only recently discovered the roles they can play in meditation. Listen to a playlist that fully captivates your mind, allowing you to ignore all outside distractions. After all, meditation is about achieving a mentally clear and emotionally calm state.

Anjelique Wilson is a senior at Salisbury University, majoring in Communication arts. She loves musical theater and hopes to obtain a career in the arts. You'll often catch her singing along to musicals and watching her favorite youtubers. She joined her campus to be involved with a platform that allows her to freely express herself
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”