This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

We’ve all had those days where part of us wanted to become the overly ambitious college student and actually accomplish something, while the other part of us was content with just wallowing in bed, stuffing ourselves with an unreasonable amount of junk food and binge watching our favorite series over and over again.

However, most of us, through experience have come to the conclusion that giving in to the latter in the long run causes us to get behind, especially as it pertains to school. I myself can attest to this.

Just this past weekend, I had totally forgotten about my bio exam the next Tuesday. I kept thinking that I had ample time to prepare. I continued pushing back the time I would prepare for the exam. It actually wasn’t until the day before the exam that to my dismay, I found out it was in fact the next day!

This almost sent me into a frenzy. How did I possibly forget about an exam that I had sworn up and down I would study for? I had even written detailed notes and planned to set aside countless hours to get ready for the exam.

Luckily, I was able to cram in enough information before my exam that afternoon to get through the exam. Just like me, procrastination has become a worst enemy for others. Luckily there are a few preventive measures you can take to stop the “itch”.

• Create a “To Do” List. I know this is cliché but creating a to do list will help you keep track of what you need to accomplish. However, it is important that you check your “to do” list every day as well as making sure you check off what you have accomplished so that you will know what still needs to be done.

• Manage your time. Never wait until the last minute to decide to be productive. Always schedule your time accordingly to ensure that you not only will be able to accomplish your goals but also have some downtime to do something you actually enjoy.

• Talk with Professors.  I know holding a conversation with them can be unnerving or even nerve-wracking, but taking the time out to get clarity on specific assignments, as well as being reminded of important do dates will ensure your success.

• Remember, due dates are closer than they appear. I am sure you heard your parents say that time goes by fast. Well news flash! It actually does. This is why it is important to get started on your “to do” list. Even if some assignments are not due until next month, starting on them in advance, especially with projects, will ensure you have ample time to work on it and do a very good job.

And last but not least, don’t sweat it!! No one is perfect and we all are bound to make mistakes at some point in our college careers. However, choosing to change our trajectory will help us become the best students we can possibly be.

I'm Kyra Wilkins who is a freshmen majoring in communications and an aspiring journalist. I am able to explore my creative side through writing. I am excited to be able to be a voice for others.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.