Get to Know Emma Watson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Emma Charlotte Duerre Watson was born April 15, 1990 in Paris, France. Watson gained her fame through the popular Harry Potter series. Auditioning for the first time in her life, she obtained the envious role of Hermione Granger and shot to fame with the movies.

Following the next decade of filming the Harry Potter movies, Watson thrived and was offered various other films and shows. More well-known films include: Perks of Being a Wall Flower, This is the End, and more recently Beauty and the Beast.

Throughout her career, Watson has mentioned the value of having an education. Not only did Watson go to school and film the Harry Potter movie franchise at the same time, but when as far as temporarily leaving acting to pursue an education. Watson was accepted into the Ivy League school Brown University and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in English literature, and became a certified yoga and meditation instructor.

In July of 2014, Watson as made an UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, and delivered an address at UN Headquarters on gender equality. Watson mentioned feminist issues like the gender pay gap, as well the negative effects of young girls being sexualized by others, particularly men. Watson continued on and promoted HeForShe, an organization that wishes to reach gender equality around the world.

Watson continues to speak openly about feminism and gender equality, and participated in the Women’s March on Washington on January 21st, 2017.

Watson has received a large number of nominations and awards throughout her career, including; National Movie Award for Best Performance by a Female Actress (2007), MTV Movie Award for Best On-Screen Duo (2012), British Style Award (2014), Britannia Award for British Artist of the Year (2014),#26 on the TIME 100 list of the world’s most influential people. (2015) and Inspiration of the Year at Harper’s Bazaar Awards (2016). 

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.