photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Five Things You Should Never Say To A Person of Color

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Note: Saying “No offense,” doesn’t make it acceptable. Here are five things you shouldn’t say to a person of color.“Your English is so good.”

1. Assuming someone’s language proficiency based on their race is extremely problematic, especially if they were born, raised, and/or have lived in an English-speaking area.

I am the child of Sierra Leonean immigrants and was born in the United States. I will never forget when I told a classmate about my heritage and she replied by ‘praising’ my English skills. I found it particularly insulting because we were born and raised in the same county, attended the same school, took the same classes and she still assumed my English skills were weak.

This remark is also insulting to immigrants, as many school systems around the world have mandatory English proficiency requirements. English is one of the world’s top lingua francas (languages used to communicate between those who don’t share a common language). “English is the most-studied foreign language across almost all European countries and at all education levels,” whereas only 25% of American adults report speaking another language (Devlin).  

1. “You got into *insert university here*? Do you play sports?”

A person of color got into university because they worked hard and applied themselves academically. The sports scholarship stereotype is problematic because people of color are seen as forms of entertainment or revenue before they are seen as human beings with academic potential.

Not every person of color is an athlete or entertainer, and they don’t have to be.  Although there are people of color who earn scholarships, many are for merit, and those who do receive athletic scholarships are not attending school simply for your viewing pleasure.

1. “Is that your real hair?”

A person of color does not owe anyone their hair story, nor do they have to let anyone touch their hair. There is no harm in giving a person of color a compliment on their hair, but continuously gawking or pestering them about it can make them feel uncomfortable, as if they’re a museum exhibit.

1. “You don’t look/act like you’re *insert race here*.”

So, what are they supposed to look/act like? This statement tells a person of color they’re a stereotype before they’re a human being. People of color have varied personalities and DNA, which shouldn’t be put into a one-size-fits-all box.  Get to know people as people, not their stereotypes.

1. “You’re one of the good ones”

This remark is not flattering at all, it insinuates that a person of color is sub-par until they’ve ‘proved’ themselves to be decent. ‘Decent’ often means neglecting their cultural norms, which no one should feel obligated to do in order to be accepted. No race is ‘good’ or ‘bad’, people are.

Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities. 
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.