Books to Read and Films to See During Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Happy Black History Month! As we celebrate the contributions made to society by Black people, we cannot forget some of the most important and lasting forms of communication: literature and film! Pay homage to legendary and contemporary creators by indulging in culture this (or any) month.

Novels

1. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Hurston’s masterpiece follows the life of protagonist Janie Crawford through her relationships with three different men in various parts of her life. Only when Janie is set free from everyone’s expectations of what she should be, she is able to find herself, just as people can only come to God themselves.

2. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

Song of Solomon follows the life of Macon “Milkman” Dead and is separated into two parts, which highlights his history and growth from an indifferent and egoistic boy to a conscious man. Morrison brilliantly crafts the novel by revealing each character’s inner emotions and strife. As a result, the reader knows more information then all of the characters. This is a great book for the foreshadowers out there (you’ll be surprised!).

Films & Shows

1. The Get Down

The Get Down is an exhilarating Netflix series set in 1977 New York City and details the life of Ezekiel Figuero, a teen from the South Bronx who teams up with DJ protégé Shaolin Fantastic to rise above the ruin around them and change the course of music forever. The series explores the rise of hip hop and disco and the profound impact it’s had on American popular culture.

2. 13th

Thoughtfully named after the 13th amendment, which outlawed slavery (unless one was punished for a crime), award winning director Ava DuVernay reveals the racial inequality in America’s prison system, as jails are disproportionally filled with African Americans. The film claims that the 13th amendment did not abolish slavery, but created a new form of it with mass incarceration. 

Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities. 
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.