The Amazing World Of Succulents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Most people know succulents as adorable little plants that have the ability to brighten up any dorm room or apartment. Over the years of being a succulent mom however, I have learned there is much more to these plants than meets the eye.

1. Succulents are particular.

Caring for these little plants really is more of an art form. They can suffer immensely from accidental over watering or under watering and require a whole lot of sunlight unless you want them to grow out in all directions like cute little noodles.

2. Losing a leaf on your succulent can be a blessing in disguise.

Did a leaf ever fall off your plant? Don’t throw it away! Instead, simply cover the leaf with a little dirt and water. Often times this is enough for a little baby succulent to sprout out of the end of the leaf that was originally attached. Not only are these babies super cute, but it is so rewarding to grow a succulent to maturity all by yourself.

3. Succulents know how to protect themselves.

The white dusty particles that are often found on succulent plants are actually their own naturally occurring shield that protects them from biological threats such as disease, bugs, and sunburn. Talk about evolutionary advantages!

4. Succulents come in every color of the rainbow

The most common color of succulent is green, but there are several varieties of succulents with tints of other colors, some of which are even rainbow-like.

Taking care of a succulent plant successfully can be extremely rewarding and fun. Give it a try!

Nicole is an Environmental Studies and Economics double major at Salisbury University who is passionate about animal rights. She strongly believes in the benefits of a minimalistic plant-based lifestyle. She is on a journey to self love and minimalism and is excited to share her progress and advice along the way. Finally, she is dedicated to yoga and running as forms of stress relief and confidence boosting. All her passions and lifestyle choices come back to her deeply rooted love for animals. Nicole believes showing compassion truly manifests itself in beautiful and positive ways in life. She is prepared to share with you the means of achieving a more meaningful, compassionate, and joyful life with her articles.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.