Why I Don’t Need to Lose Weight for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Nowadays, every article title I see on college websites and Cosmo read “Get bikini body ready” or “How to get fit for spring break.” Dang, I didn’t realize spring break was my deadline to get perfectly fit and toned, and I didn’t realize my body had to be “ready” to put on a bikini.

I personally don’t think anyone needs to worry about losing weight for spring break. Yes, if you are at risk for diabetes, have high blood pressure, or other weight-related health issues, focusing on eating fresh and unprocessed foods should be a goal to help get healthy and increase your energy, but weight loss? That’s a whole other story.

Spring break is a few weeks away, but that doesn’t mean I’m not having fun with my friends right now. We love going out to eat, having wine nights, and cooking or baking together. If I dieted for spring break, how would I be able to enjoy these amazing experiences with my friends? Food brings us together, and I don’t want “prepping” for one week of my life to stop me from bonding and enjoying amazing nights with my friends now. I’m living in the moment. College isn’t the time to say “no” to baking cookies with your best friends because you’re afraid of calories, it’s the time to say “yes” to making memories and experiencing joy.

Plus, I don’t need a scale to tell me if I’m healthy. Weight is just a number. In fact, most girls who strength train actually gain weight because they’re building muscle. By BMI standards, they could be overweight, but by health standards, they’re totally in shape! The number on the scale is just that: a number. It’s no indicator of what kind of shape my body is in.

Finally, weight isn’t the primary goal. Instead, I want my mental health to be important, and part of that is nurturing my mind with healthy foods, not beating myself up if I eat a cookie now and then, exercising when I want to burn off some steam and destress, and letting myself take a few rest days if I feel like it. Eat when you’re hungry, stop when you’re full. Indulge in a piece of cake if it sounds good.

Getting ready for spring break should be fun: planning out where to go, what to drink, what to wear. Spring break is the chance to make memories that last a lifetime. Why spoil it by stressing about losing weight beforehand? This spring break, I’m focusing on enjoying it, not starving myself for it, and you should, too.

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.