This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Being home for the summer is a love hate relationship for me, and I think for a lot of people.  You are excited to be home and have a break.  But, you miss being able to share your life with all the wonderful friends you have made at school and miss all the fun activities college offers. 

But, we will always have the idea of summer being an amazing time of year!  The inner kid in us won’t let that die quit yet.  If you can check off a few of these things or even one thing off this list, then you are having a pretty good summer.

• A full day of doing nothing
  • Visiting with high school friends (even if it is just once)
  • Going to the fair
  • A beach day! (a lake day can count too I guess)
  • A family vacation
  • Going out for a nice dinner
  • Reading a good book
  • Marathon on Netflix
  • Eating Nutella out of the jar
  • Exercising
  • Enjoying alone time
  • Having friends come over to watch a show or a movie
  • Being a tourist in your own town
  • Volunteering
  • Watching the Hannah Montana movie with your cousins
  • Watching one of your favorite childhood shows
  • Spending time with family
  • Getting tan or getting freckles
  • Looking at the stars
  • Having a summer job
  • Being creative in any sort of way

These are just a few things I came up with that I think make a great summer.  I think as we get to college our summers change and our idea of summer changes.  But, I think we all need to be reminded that you don’t have to do something crazy to have a great, fun summer.  If you have a good attitude and good friends/family anything you do can turn into a fun summer activity.  You make your summer not everyone’s expectations of how summer should be.  Relax, have fun and be a little care free while we still can! 

Enjoy your last month before school starts. 

Love, Sinead 

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Photos provided by the author

Sinead Hickey

Saint Mary's

Incoming Junior at SMC, writing and hoping people like it!
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!